No Oil Filter Spec in Owners Manual

I don’t normally find that info in the owner’s manual. I find it at the store, either in a book near the filters or by asking a clerk at an auto parts store.

I’ve seldom driven somewhere to buy an oil filter or oil. I usually combine trips or stop on my way somewhere.

Yesterday I changed the oil in my motorcycle, and I bought the filter at an auto parts store that was next to another store I needed to go to. I got one of those K&N oil filters with the nut on the end. They sure make it easy to torque the filter tight, but they cost an arm and a leg. I’m going to have to see about ordering them online, particularly because they are expensive in the store.

I think you mean Anti Drainback valve.
You heard WRONG. Toyota doesn’t make filters. They’re made for them by one of the aftermarket filter companies. Toyota uses Denso, Wix and Fram. Why would the Toyota filter have a the anti-drainback valve, but the filter company that makes it for Toyota doesn’t? That doesn’t pass the smell test.

I buy them by the Case too. Wix from my local parts store. He gives me a good deal. But at least I have 2 vehicles (wifes 2007 Lexus and my 2014 Highlander) that use the exact same filter.

I didn’t see anyone claim they did. He only mentioned the filter’s brand.

I’ve personally seen signs that the cheap orange Fram filter for my Civic lacks a functioning drainback valve. Maybe it had one, but if it did, it wasn’t doing it’s job based on the oil levels I was seeing.

Contrary to what’s on the internet - Fram are NOT cheap filters. If there were any serious problems with the design of Fram filters then we’d see thousands if not millions of cars every year with engine problems. Fram oil and air filters out sell Purolator, Wix and Denso COMBINED.

There was some FAKE anti-Fram websites out there. One was very famous that took apart a Fram filter and showed that it didn’t have a anti-drainback valve. And they were right - ti didn’t. However what they didn’t tell you was that for that particular engine the Fram filter fit - the filter was mounted upside down (threads pointing up), so there was no need for an anti-drainback valve. But a Fram filter designed for an engine where that needs/requires a anti-drainback valve - it has one.

A lot of vehicles these days (my wifes Lexus and my Highlander) - the only thing you replace is the filter element. The canister part is not replaced. Remove canister, then remove filter. Clean out canister. Put in new filter element and screw canister back to block.

1 Like

My wife’s 87 and 96 Accord - I used Fram filters with convention motor oil (10W-30) exclusively.

87 Accord we sold with well over 300k miles. 96 Accord we gave to one of our nieces when she started college. Car had over 340k miles. Niece drove it for all years of college. Her dad used Fram filters and same oil as I did for the rest of the oil changes. She sold vehicle with well over 400k miles.

Yup…those Fram filters are really really bad. Don’t use them.

1 Like

Do you own stock in Fram or something? Geesch, you act like this is personal.

Frankly, I doubt a faulty or nonexistent drainback valve could cause catastrophic failure, so the absence of catastrophic engine failure caused by a model of Fram’s cheapest oil filter other than the one I used doesn’t prove or disprove anything.

All you’ve proved is that you have, for whatever reason, a personal stake in this fight. I don’t. All I have is my observation that the one time I used one of Fram’s least expensive orange filters, more oil drained into the oil pan and showed on the dip stick than when I used a more expensive Fram filter or a filter of a different brand.

Whether that is a sign that you get what you pay for with Fram’s cheapest oil filter, I shall not speculate, but I know what I saw. Unless you’re disputing what I saw, we have no beef.

Objectively, Fram’s orange oil filter is the cheapest oil filter you can buy. I have seen none that cost less.

Walmart, Super-Tech filters: these are cheaper :slight_smile:
Also, based on what you see on multiple cut-outs you can find on youtube, these are twins of baseline Wix, quite nicely made.
Hands-down they are better than baseline/orange FRAM.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve never noticed them on the shelves before.

Remove “minimal price” filter from your search :slight_smile:
At $2.50 a piece they are a bargain.
Numbering matches Fram.

I meant cheapest in QUALITY.

And how many times did you see it? Not very scientific is it.

I guess you also missed (either by accident or on purpose) that I said I buy Wix filters by the case. Funny how you always seem to do things like that.

1 Like

I didn’t miss anything. I read it, noted it, and didn’t feel compelled to respond to it.

Funny how you seem to think that is reason to accuse me of whatever it is you’re accusing me of.

I never claimed it was scientific, but the answer is: I saw it every time I checked the oil while using the filter, which was about every 500 miles between 5,000 mile oil changes, so probably 8-10 times.

I would have been more scientific about it, but I couldn’t fit my car through the door of any of the labs where I work. :wink:

Not only did you NOT comment on it…you made an off-wall comment completely contradicting what I did say.

The only reason is because you’ve done it before.

1 Like

Am I not allowed to disagree with you and say so, just because you wrote something?

For having an opinion that clashes with yours, please accept my deepest and humblest apologies. I am deeply sorry to have offended you with my differing opinion. (◔_◔)

Nice Strawman argument. Never said you couldn’t disagree with me. Go ahead. But argue against something I actually said or even implied. I specifically said I use Wix filters…yet you have some off-handed remark that I must own stock in Fram because I disagree with you. Kinda childish don’t you think.

1 Like

I personally saw evidence that the cheap orange Fram oil filter I bought didn’t have a functioning drainback valve, and saying that brought on an onslaught from you of irrelevant points which I have no reason to dispute.

Please don’t get upset that I ignored those irrelevant points.

I’m just going to leave these two direct quotes without further comment.

I have no idea, just going by what I was told. Maybe before they put the Toyota name on the filter it is made to a minimum specification.

When I remove a brand X filter from a Toyota 3MZ engine that has been sitting over night the filter is usually empty, no oil. The Toyota filters are always full.

2 Likes

I have yet to see the aftermarket filter that doesn’t have a anti-drainback valve where the engine manufacturer called for it. Purolator, Fram, Wix, Denso all had anti-drainback valves.

1 Like