Nissan Quest odometer jumped 10k miles

I have a 2004 Nissan Quest SE. We were on a trip and drove 15 hours to Florida which was a 870 mile trip. We had 104,440 miles on the van when we left, validated by the dealer service records and our own notes to track MPG. We arrived in FL and didn’t notice the odometer. The van remained parked for 4 days. Upon leaving, we noticed it had 115,310 miles on the odometer. Upon checking the trip computer (setting 1), it did not reflect this 10k mile gain. The trip computer also didn’t reflect a change in MPG with the additional 10k miles. The trip computer (setting 2) hasn’t been reset in a very long time as we don’t use it. and continued to show a total mileage just over 4k miles, therefore, also not reflecting this 10k mile gain in the odometer.
What would cause this jump of 10k miles on the odometer?

This is just a WAG, and I’m sure that others will have theories that are just as possible–if not more likely than my theory. Anyway–if your alternator or voltage regulator are starting to fail, the resulting variations in voltage can throw various electronic components out of whack.

So–what I am theorizing is that a large voltage spike may be the source of the problem. I would suggest that you locate a good independent mechanic, and have him check the alternator output. If the alternator’s diodes are failing, you could wind up stranded within a matter of a few days.

Could be an idea. We also noticed, during the trip back home, that one of the tire pressure sensors would stop working for an hour or two, causing a ‘flat tire’ light. But, it would start working later.
Also, on the trip down to FL, the AC stopped cooling, but, I just figured it was so hot/humid that it had just frozen up as the blower was on low. The AC worked fine on the way back home.
Thanks!

Hmmm…that additional information makes it even more likely that you are about to have a non-functioning alternator. The last death throes are usually accompanied by weird, temporary electronic malfunctions. However, with an electronic component that has “memory”–like an odometer–the malfunctions may be permanent.