Newbie here

Southern USA

I also live in the south and don’t consider it backward.Welcome aboard Kboutelle23 :smiley:

2 Likes

Naw, we changed fryer oil about once a month when the fries started to taste like chicken. But was emptied and filtered every night.

Thanks so much!!

That’s good to know. :slight_smile:

They are very good in France, but–IMHO–they are even better in Belgium. However, I don’t subscribe to the practice of dipping them in mayonnaise.

Everyone has their favorite condiments. I prefer bbq sauce to ketchup for fries. Mrs JT is firmly in the ketchup camp.

I agree ketchup is the way to go with french fries.

1 Like

Ray had some good pointers if you decide to get a car to replace your Mustang (my first car was a '65 Mustang, friend had a '67):
Buying a Classic Car Can Be More Than You Bargained For - Car Talk

1 Like

I do plan on getting another Mustang eventually. However, this time I’m going to get the one I always wanted: 1969 Mach I Mustang with a 428 Cobra Jet engine or perhaps a 1969 Fastback. I really would like to restore one, just get the body and go from there.

So would I , but the cost of anywhere from 75000 to 200000 is the reason I will not . These are best bought finished at auction.

1 Like

Maybe I should be less picky about which one I get my hands on as long as I can restore it myself.

Find a local Mustang club (they’re everywhere, there were two in Anchorage) and go to meetings and shows. You’ll get a great feel for what the options are, and the costs. Great thing with Mustangs, every part’s available from multiple sources.

1 Like

I’ll have to look into that. Thank you for letting me know. :slight_smile:

They are also great places to make connections… cars to buy, help with skills you don’t have or want to develop, knowledge to avoid fakes… and there are lots of Fake Mach 1s out there!

Mustangs are popular enough that you can buy a brand new body for a 65 through maybe 1970 and build your own from scratch. Won’t be a real one but it won’t cost as much. Put any engine and transmission in you want.

Restoration can be a rewarding hobby but a lot of restorations are stopped in the middle for a variety of reasons. I’m not suggesting this will happen to you but it’s worth thinking about before you buy a car to restore.

You might consider a newer Mustang. 6th generation cars, starting in 2015, come with a 2.4L EcoBoost engine, a 3.7L 6 cyl, or the 5L V8. The two smaller engines have about 300 hp and should be powerful enough for you for street use. They will be more reliable, get better gas mileage, and will cost less to buy than a 1960s Mustang with a V8 larger than a a 289. I think more modern examples are a much better deal if you want to drive the car and can even function as a daily driver.

The last mustang I looked at was years ago. The price was right but the guy had put new quarter panels on with stove bolts. Kinda scared me off and never looked back.

He might have been the offspring of our '60s era downstairs neighbor. His '55 Olds 88 was apparently still in decent mechanical condition, so when the rear fenders developed a really severe case of rust damage, he cut out the damaged areas and riveted panels of sheet metal in their place. Then, he painted the car gray, and with the addition of those rivets, his old land barge looked like a naval ship.

1 Like

I have to admit I have done the same thing… But with countersunk rivets and a little bondo to to cover them up.

Living in Ohio with salted winter roads means rust repair on older cars I could afford. I know…I know… it won’t last but I was young and had lots of energy and bondo and cans of matching spray paint…

My first car, '65 Mustang, had the inner and outer fenders pop-riveted together after the fender lip rusted off. That thing was a rust bucket.

1 Like