New tire warranties

I recently purchased four new tires and paid extra for the warranty on each tire. Isn’t this really just a legitimate scam? Think about it. How often will all four tires fail at once where you will have to show a certificate for each one? Just buy one warranty and use it if necessary for whatever tire may fail!

When you purchase new tires, they record the serial numbers of each tire that’s under warranty. So if the serial number on a tire doesn’t match those on the warranty, it’s not covered. They thought of that!

Tester

Yep, they look at the #s. Better idea - skip the road hazard warranty. I’ve never bought one, and never needed one. Over the years chances are you’d be money ahead to not buy. Of course, now we’ll hear from the unlucky folks who had 4 tire go out in a year…

Or, you could just buy your tires from Costco, and get a lifetime road hazard warranty free-of-charge. Costco undoubtedly charges less for its tires than a local retailer would, and this low price includes lifetime free rotation, lifetime free re-balancing, and lifetime puncture repair.

If the tire is not repairable, they will give you a new tire, under the terms of the road hazard warranty. I actually witnessed this once while in their tire department. An elderly gentleman came in with a flat tire. After examining it, they informed him that it was not repairable. He looked upset and asked how much it would cost for a replacement, and he was informed that he would be getting the replacement tire free-of-charge. Looking incredulous, he said something along the lines of, “But I’ve been driving on these Michelins for 6 years”, and he was reassured that the elapsed time had nothing to do with it. The elderly man, who appeared to be of limited means, was actually teary-eyed at the news that he would not have to spend any money to replace this 6 year old tire.

“Peace of Mind”

Buying warranties is buying peace of mind. Now that you have your’s, you can worry about something other than your tires. Like buying life insurance at the airport just before a flight, to have peace of mind during your flight.

The problem is that it sounds like you are not getting peace of mind from your purchase.

Texases rightfully pointed out that extra or extended warranties are generally a waste of money. Also, he cautioned that some unlucky folks would chime in. I have purchased these warranties and have probably come out ahead of the game. We run over a lot of nails and screws, or sharp objects.

Although I don’t have a Costco within several hundred miles, if I did, I’d go there, as VDCdriver recommends.

At any rate, you have bought your peace of mind this time. Don’t worry about it, relax in peaceful bliss.

The likelyhood of failure of one tire is probably 5-25%. All four is so low. So basically the warranty for 4 covers the cost.

I did get “sucked” into one on the purchase of pricier performance tires for my Subaru for a total cost of $60 for 4 tires. However on Subaru if you get one flat and the replacement tire is not within 1/4" in circumference of the other existing tires you must replace 4 tires. The warranty does cover it.

Still wondering though if $60 is worth it.

RE: Costco discussion

I’ve found that your local independent ‘back alley’ tire dealers will beat Costco prices hands-down.

For example, I used to call numerous places for tire prices before each tire purchase, and then realized the value of going to the small independents. I’ve been going to Nashua Wholesale Tire in Nashua, New Hampshire for years. Every once in a while I’ll look to see what others are charging for tires and realize the big-box stores/chains don’t even come close to the small independents.

never FREE…the terminology should be…“included”.

OK–free of EXTRA charge, if you wish.

If you’re just trying to find the cheapest tire for your car, sure you’ll find cheaper stuff at the back alley places and the Walmart. But Costco doesn’t sell any really cheap tires, they give very competitive prices on high quality name-brand tires. I learned long ago that cheap tires simply aren’t worth it-- the price difference isn’t that great and a good quality tire will usually last 2-3 times as long as a cheap one and will perform better to boot.

I’m just annoyed that they don’t sell any 13 inch tires there.

Yes , if only the industry in general would say these words. No fault of yours, this is not a dig towards you, but a stab at all of the advertizements for “FREE” when they should be saying " included" or “no extra charge”. From tires to phones to furniture stores to grocery ads , so many play the the psycological game of “free”. If, as a buyer, you like the bottom line price for the service or product , then that’s the actuality. Ain’t nuthin’ free.

My likelyhood of failure has been 1 tire in 30 years, so what is that? 1 out of 32 tires? 3%? That’s why those warranties would be big money losers to me. And I’m not sure about ‘peace of mind’ - it doesn’t help you if you have a flat, just pays for the replacement. I’d put the money towards AAA.

“Paid extra for the warranty on each tire.”

Why did you do that? Are you crazy?

Do you expect sympathy?

New tires come with a warranty from the manufacturer. It’s free.

You’ve been had, and that’s your problem.

You want to know if it’s a “legitimate scam.” Please define “legitimate scam.”

It’s a legitimate scam in so far as it took your money, but other than that, please tell me how it qualifies as “legitimate.”

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell. Are you interested?

It sounds like the OP is referring to a road hazard warranty, which used to be included by the manufacturer in the purchase price of a tire, but that has not been included for quite a few years. As I pointed out earlier, this is still included by Costco, and it is possible that some other retailers still include it in the purchase price, independent of the tire manufacturer.

That being said, I do agree that this is only a “legitimate scam” if the OP was forced to buy the warranty. In a similar fashion to the optional extended warranty on appliances, this is a big money maker for the retailer. If the OP made a free-will decision to spend his money on this optional, extra cost warranty, that was probably a poor decision. To have buyer’s remorse afterward is fine, but to characterize a free-will decision as a “legitimate scam” is inappropriate.

You’re a pretty smug S*it head, aren’t you?!!