Snow tires Insurance Needed?

I am shopping for new snow tires for my Honda Accord, and the salesman wants me to get “insurance” at $14/tire. This would cover any replacements needed and rotations. Do you think this is a good idea?

I’ve never gotten it, never needed it in (gulp) 40 years.

I usually decline the extra “insurance”. If you have a lot of potholes in your area it might be a good idea, but I usually pass. Right now I have 3 pretty worn snows and the 4th was killed by a pothole. Can’t find a worn matching tire, so there they sit.

If you get a flat that can’t be fixed the insurance will just get you a new tire prorated for treadwear. So, if your tire is 50% worn they will sell you another tire at full list price less 50% which is often not much of a deal.

If you buy tires a $200 each, go for it. If they are $50 each pass on it.

I usually buy it. Where I buy my tires, they offer road hazard protection (for flat tire repair or replacement) and lifetime balancing and rotation. I buy both. The last time I had to pay for a tire repair, it cost a little less than $50. I have used the road hazard protection and lifetime balance and rotation enough that they pay for themselves. If they have to replace a tire, they will probably charge you a prorated amount based on wear to the existing tire. It won’t be free.

If you buy your tires from Costco, the purchase price (which is a competitive one) includes a lifetime Road Hazard Warranty at no extra charge. That means that any punctures are repaired for free, and if the puncture is not repairable, they give you a new tire, gratis.

They also rotate your tires and rebalance your tires gratis, for the life of the tread.
All-in-all, a very good deal, which is why I buy my tires from them.

A lot depends on how/where you drive. How often have you needed this in the past?

Nope, I do not think it’s a good idea. New tires are no where near as susceptable to flats as tires used to be.

Although, if you drive regularly in a construction site, where nails and sheetrock screws and decking srews are abundant, it might be worth it…

No, it’s not a good idea.

It’s $56 more profit for the tire dealer.

You’re not going to rotate the winter tires. They will be off the car in spring.

Save your money.

I too do not think these tire insurance/warranty/hazard protection policies are worth it.

Pay close attention to UncleTurbo’s comment about how these policies compensate you on a figure based off the list price of the tire (I suspect you’ll be shocked to learn how high the list price is for the tires you’re buying). Many have been disappointed to see how little these policies actually helped them.

If you do decide to get the insurance, read the fine print first.

No. Same answer for all of the “extended warrantys” pushed by Best Buy, Sam’s Club or any new car dealer. They are just pre-paid maintenance contracts – you are paying in advance for repair you may or may not need.

If you feel you really need it, I’ll do it for $48. Send me the money now, and I’ll pay to fix your tire when needed.

Twotone

Buy them at Costco or Sam’s club. Rotation and balance is free. Sam’s club extends the road hazard coverage for as long as you are a card-carrying memmber. Maybe Costco will do the same.

Gee, I couldn’t have said it better myself!
Oh, that’s right–I did–about 6 posts previous to yours.

;-))

The $14 is just added profit to the tire store…