New Manual Transmission Problems?

I recently bought a brand new 2017 Manual Transmission Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. At first it was running great, but now it seems like the engine/transmission is working too hard at the lower gears. The car currently has a little over 1,000 miles. Do you guys know what this might be indicative of? I’ve considered the possibility that I’m just not used to a car where I can hear the engine working, but it seems like the Wrangler is giving me more feedback and is louder and less responsive than a new car should be. Appreciate any input you guys have, I’m just here to learn.

The best input that anybody can give you is that you should not try to diagnose or fix this on your own.
Take the vehicle back to the dealership, state your concerns, and allow them to diagnose any possible problems. If the problem continues after three failed repair attempts, then you can probably qualify for Lemon Law relief in your state.

However, I have to wonder…Did you test drive a Wrangler under the same conditions before you purchased this one?
While “they all do that” is the mantra of many service departments, sometimes that statement is actually true.

If you didn’t take the time to do an extended test drive before buying, then I would suggest going to a different dealership, playing innocent, and asking to test-drive a similarly-equipped Wrangler. If the vehicle’s performance is the same, then…you are more or less stuck with the vehicle that you bought.

On the other hand, if you can honestly say that the other identical Wrangler did not exhibit the problems of your vehicle, then you need to hang in there with possible fixes by your dealership, while simultaneously researching the exact details of the Lemon Law in your state.

4 Likes

My thoughts emulate VDC’s.
However, test drive another of the same model and drivetrain at the dealer’s. If it feels & sounds significantly different, ask the dealer why.

And pay attention to the wheels and tires. If the one you test drive has different tires, that may be the difference… especially if it has different size wheels too. If that turns out to be the case, perhaps the dealer will have a “takeoff” set that some other customer didn’t want that they’ll give you a good deal on. Occasionally a customer will have the dealer remove the OEM set and replace it with something different before delivery.

The Jeep Wrangler has never been known for its creature comforts or quiet and smooth ride. It looks like there is only one engine option for this and it is a V6. You should have plenty of power but remember that a Wrangler is not a Lexus or something meant to be quiet.

This is a fun car but not one meant for long highway drives or a quiet ride. You may just not be used to how it runs.

I once saw a thread about someone who was upset that their new top of the line Corvette burned the tires too easily…

1 Like

I wonder what the OP drove before the Wrangler and just how experienced they are with manual shift.

Camry with automatic trans. I learned how to drive a stick roughly ten years ago and have driven them every now and then but this is my first time owning one

I don’t like guessing, but could you have engaged low range or even four wheel drive ? Even if not return to the dealer and ask for a thorough explanation of the system.

Honestly, I just can’t tell if I’m paranoid or if it’s actually acting funny. And it’s hard for me to take it to the dealer because the dealer is 8 hours away. The other day I did put it into 4H and then into 4L, but it was slow and deliberate and I changed it back to 2WD. When you say low range are you referring to 4L?

My sister leased a jeep, they told her to come in every 6 months for a software update. Maybe that is all you need.

I’m pretty sure that driving in 4-wheel drive on dry pavement will eventually cause drive line damage. 2wheel drive is what you want for everyday driving on dry pavement. Read your owner’s manual and make sure you are using the shift levers properly. All info mentioned above still applies.

I second Mr. Dusenberg’s suggestion to read your manual. If there is a jeep dealer closer you might ask them for tips on your vehicle.

You don’t have to go to the dealer where you purchased your Jeep. Are there any Jeep-Chrysler-Dodge dealers closer?

I have a fairly high tolerance for Noise/Vibration/Harshness as long as it is normal for the vehicle.