New car purchase optional extras

I’d think the neon problem could be solved, since it’s a matter of building the correct cryogenic plant, rather than having the resource located in your country.

1 Like

Welp, I guess catalytic converter thefts aren’t going to ease up in the short term either!

2 Likes

Russia mines about 12% of the nickel ore annually. Most of it comes from Southeast Asia.

… and that factory in Odessa might not even exist at this point, following the relentless artillery and missile attacks on that city.
:grimacing:

The “chip” shortage is affecting vehicle inventory, and as a result many major manufacturers are “de-contenting” their new vehicles and shipping/selling them with some features missing or downgraded. Word on the street on what is going to happen:
VW and Mazda: Power Lift Gate disabled
Honda: One key fob, second to be provided at a later date
Hyundai: Power running boards not available
Toyota: Audio system downgrade
…and a few others.

2 Likes

An update on our situation.
We got the add ons cancelled, opting instead to get a two bar.
We were promised the car Saturday just gone.
The dealer said they had a hail
Storm and checking to see what cars if any were damaged. They said they have about 150
Cars to check but also said they don’t know if our car is at this location or not.
Basically saying, they don’t know where the car is which I find a stupid excuse as they surely have tracking.
Having to hire cars because of them.

What is a “two bar”?

Oops, typo. A tow bar or similar to attach bikes

You stated this thread April , 27 , 2022 and are you just locked in a certain vehicle because it seems you could have found something new without all this trouble by now.

This dealer has already demonstrated to you that they are crooked. And yet you go back to them, why?

2 Likes

We are in a tight spot. Need a car. Used cars are silly money. They have cancelled the extras they tried to force on us.
We want a tow bar/bike attachment.

Most dealers will try to sell these extras. I just did not like them saying they were mandatory.

This particular hybrid is the car my other half wanted. Other dealer quoted 6 month wait.
We looked at other makes snd they all quoted 3 plus months for delivery.

That’s completely crooked, not just something you “didn’t like”. I’d worry what else they’d try to screw me with.

“Monroney Stickers” are required by the Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958, to be attached by the manufacturer to every new car offered for sale and the penalty is $1,000 for each violation. Monroney sticker - Wikipedia

I’ve seen plenty of Dealers attach Dealer Option/Dealer Markup stickers below the “Monroney” but even in past times of huge demand I’ve never seen a Dealer stupid or greedy enough to remove the sticker but there’s always room for a new low.

In this day and age of “everybody has a video cellphone”, if this is actually happening I’d imagine that some otherwise bored “kids” (anyone under 21) could have a heck of a good time with this. When you’re young or old, “Nothing like Sticking It to the Man”. :grinning: .

1 Like

You misunderstood my post . Many dealers will have the window sticker on their web site but some are not doing that so people will come to the dealer .

That may be because they have the ADP ( Additional Dealer Profit ) on the vehicle but just don’t want it seen until you are there .

2 Likes

Follow-on: Dealers are more in control of sales than they have been for a long time. They used to post window stickers and discounted prices on line to get you to buy on line or come in for a test drive. No need for that now.

1 Like

my wife and i were shopping for a used SUV last summer, and found a nice one at a dealership. We test drove it, liked it, went in to talk numbers. The salesman tried to force us to purchase lifetime window tint warranty, and said we had to take it because the window tint was already on the car.
I verified that we didn’t have an option on this like $800 add on (which in AZ, quality window tint is worth good money,) and salesman confirmed.
I got up, walked out to the car, showed the salesman the complete lack of window tint anywhere on the vehicle, even though he kept trying to convince me it was there, and we promptly left.
I know and understand they have to try to upsell, but don’t lie to me. ill gladly take my business elsewhere

2 Likes

I got up, walked out to the car, showed the salesman the complete lack of window tint anywhere on the vehicle, even though he kept trying to convince me it was there, and we promptly left.

Eddo reflects what I’m seeing overall,“We’re tired of Covid and the shortagest and ready to buy but I’m not going to be bent over the fence …”

I think that after we come out of this Pandemic nightmare and the price surges we’ll see a resurgent demand but at intelligent prices, A year, maybe two.

But will it be IC or EV, Domestic or Foreign? I don’t know but after the Gas Crunch of the 1970’s we saw a surge in Japanese imports.

2 Likes

I really think after the pandemic is over the dealers are going to keep the prices high just as long as they can. And the longer people continue to pay it the longer it will last. It can sort of be compared to fuel prices before the pandemic. When the price of crude went up, gas prices almost immediately did also. But if the price of crude went down it took weeks or months before gas prices came down. That’s just how corporations/companies do things, keep the prices as high as possible as long as possible.

1 Like