New car purchase optional extras

Looking to buy a new car. The dealer said, we have not increased the recommended sale price like other dealers but we have these optional extras at $800 each and you have to take these certain two.
One was the inside cover and seat protection snd the other was incase you lose a key fob.
They said all are optional, then tried saying because we have not raised list price you need to take these out.
Are they scamming me as it seems like it.

You donā€™t ā€œhaveā€ to do anything here. Except walk out if the deal doesnā€™t sit well with you.

Personally, Iā€™d keep looking.

6 Likes

You need to look for a different dealer.
When I was car-shopping recently, one dealer automatically tacked-on $5k ā€œADPā€. I left that showroom, and resolved to never return. The next-closest dealer (same make of vehicle) didnā€™t add ā€œADPā€, but they mandated $4,800 worth of optionsā€“none of which I wanted.

I kept searching, and I found another dealer for the same make whose website states ā€œWe never charge above MSRP for a vehicleā€. That dealership is a 70 minute drive from my home, but I am very willing to drive 70 minutes in order to save $5k. Of course, they might also mandate a package of options, but I wonā€™t know until I get there.

Anywayā€¦ keep looking for a different dealership.

4 Likes

Comes down to total price out the door, regardless of how they label the parts. You have one price, now get some more prices. I donā€™t call this a ā€˜scamā€™, itā€™s supply and demand. Up to you to get the best price.

4 Likes

It isnā€™t optional if you must take the extras, now is it? What they are selling is overpriced extras that make the dealer lots more money on the deal while letting them say they are selling at MSRP.

Iā€™d walk.

6 Likes

Um, yes. Those ā€œoptionsā€ cost them probably $25. A skunk by any other name is still a skunk.

3 Likes

I have replaced keys for customers with lost key insurance, I donā€™t believe it is a scam, proximity keys can cost $300 to $400 each.

If you donā€™t want lost key insurance, donā€™t buy the car.

My wife has pre ordered but she can cancel.
I was just wanting to know if car dealers are allowed to force these additional extras.
They know there is a shortage of new cars right now.
Iā€™ll have a look at other dealers.
We said, if itā€™s optional, why do we need it.

Do you think the stain guard or seat rip replacement is a good thing to have?
No animals abd maybe grandkids will be in car

I have never lost keys to a vehicle so I would not accept that extra . As for the seat thing that may cost the dealer 100.00 at the very most.

1 Like

Well OK, but the option was $800 for a $300-400 lost key. Personally Iā€™ve never lost a key except to a padlock, but Iā€™ve never lost a billfold either. Things you treasure, you take care of.

1 Like

Look at the condition of the seats in your old car, do they need repair?

Some of our trade-in vehicles need seat, dash or door panel repair before they can be sold, some people donā€™t treat their vehicles well.

Itā€™s only ā€œa good thing to haveā€ if you want or need the insurance.

And BTW, who provides said Insurance and what does it cover? Can you get new keys if theyā€™re ā€œlostā€ every year or new seats and interior if theyā€™re ā€œdamagedā€ every couple of years? And how long is that ā€œInsuranceā€ good for as long as you own the car?

Iā€™m betting that you canā€™t and it isnā€™t.

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking a set of seat covers but not sure.
My wife cancelled the key fob as we have never lost one.
Itā€™s just a difficult time buying cars right now.
I would have thought supply would have caught up long ago

Think about thisā€¦
That ā€œstain guardā€ is invisible, so you really have no idea whether it was applied to the upholsteryā€“or not.

4 Likes

Not for a long time . Orders for the Ford Maverick pickup will not be accepted until this coming August. Dealers will not be making decent deals for at least another year to try and make up for lost sales .

2 Likes

My next vehicle of choice is a plug-in hybrid, and I recently read something online claiming that it could take up to 12 months for delivery of a hybrid or EV, as a result of Russiaā€™s war on Ukraine.

I guess that I will have to continue to carefully maintain my current car, in light of a possible 12 month delivery time for my next one.

1 Like

If the dealer said you had to have that extra how did you cancel it ? Did they agree ? If so then refuse the silly Scotchgarde also. Paying full sticker plus the ridiculous documentation fees that every dealer seems to have . That should be enough .

2 Likes

As others have said, not even close, it may be a year or more.

Dealers adding near-worthless stuff to in-demand vehicles has been going on for decades. Itā€™s not a scam, it how the game is played. The only defense is to get a better price somewhere else. Iā€™d rather pay $500 for some worthless paint treatment at dealer A than $1000 for the more honest ā€˜added dealer markupā€™ at dealer B.

This all assumes you have to have a car. Iā€™d like to get a car, but Iā€™m just going to try and wait this crazy market out, mineā€™s still running fine.

1 Like

Yes, we need a car so have to push on.
As for only accepting one.
It was the I will ask the manager.
Sales person came back and said he said no to not having them. We said ok, we donā€™t want it.
The manager came over. My wife said we take one, the scotch guard that included rip or Homs repair in the seats.
We were caught up in the moment.

ā€œOf course, they might also mandate a package of options, but I wonā€™t know until I get there.ā€ Did you check the inventory on the dealerā€™s website? Iā€™ve found they often include a copy of the window sticker for the new cars on their lot. That could save you a couple of hours plus a significant savings for your gasoline budget for the week.

2 Likes