New car purchase optional extras

I got fooled by doing that. 32 of my desired model ‘in stock’. When I drive down that day, 0. Not even one in the showroom. All those 32 were already sold or in transit.

1 Like

We’ve had good luck going through the internet sales dept at dealers where only the vehicles not spoken for are on the website. Some do put all the incoming inventory up online with stock photo’s at MSRP but when you call the price is thousands higher.

I already tried that, and it resulted in “page not found”.

Because that dealership is fairly close to a religious shrine that I like to visit, I will combine the two outings into one, so–luckily-- the visit to that dealership won’t really result in extra gas usage.

1 Like

I also have visited dealer web sites that no longer post the window sticker .

I did see one recently that had a disclaimer at the bottom of their page that said they have a 499.00 document fee and extra services to the vehicles that could amount to 6000.00 . I did not even look to see what they had.

I’ve seen thousands - LITERALLY - stealerships as a Mechanical Breakdown Inspector, and I can tell you professionally: they all are crooks. No exception.

1 Like

I can personally vouch for several dealers . So once again someone is posting blanket statements based on a few incidents .

2 Likes

Few? I spent nearly 20 years in the field investigating stealers’ misdeeds in three states…

Well, then you’re not checking on the (few? many?) OK dealers, right? I have had a few dealers I trust, based on their honest dealings during services. What kind of misdeeds did you come across?

3 Likes

This is a new technique that dealers are using during the inventory crisis. Manufacturers do not allow dealerships to charge more than MSRP. With the limited inventory this is exactly what the dealers want to due to ensure maximum profit per copy sold. Instead they are offering these add ons to effectively increase the MSRP of the vehicle in a different manner. One of the most popular ways of doing this is installing a new “custom” set of tires and wheels. They may only cost $1500 but now the dealer can sell these packages at a higher cost to effectively raise the MSRP. Be careful, someone above mentioned walk away if you do not feel right. This is the best advice in any automotive buying situation, especially in todays market.

2 Likes

Not true. Most all listings I see now have price listed above MSRP. Many dealers have an extra sticker listing ‘added dealer markup’ or some such. Others do the same by adding near-worthless options. Manufacturers may discourage it, but dealers do it anyway. Just like the Jeep dealer tried to do in Anchorage when we got our ‘86 Cherokee. We walked out , salesmen Called a few hours later and dropped the ADM.

2 Likes

MSRP is the manufacturer’s suggested retail price. just like they can sell a vehicle for less than that, then can sell it for more. some manufacturers frown on selling it for more than MSRP. I know Chevy with the new C8 corvette, and I believe Ford with the new bronco sent letters to dealers saying they would cut their allocations if they charged more than the MSRP.

1 Like

OK. Sounds like you’ve done your due diligence. Of note, when I ordered my Cherokee, I was told by the salesman when I took delivery that another dealer had tried to buy it out from under me. Apparently, that’s another thing you have to worry about.

Yes, but that isn’t MSRP. I think the dealers that have those phony add-ons try to make the buy think they are getting something valuable for the extra few grand they pay. The more straightforward ones just show it as markup. I hesitate to call it “honest” though.

Exactly. My point is that dealer now often charge above the official ‘sticker price’, a.k.a. MSRP.

1 Like

I wonder what Russia and Ukraine have to do with it? Are you finally buying that Russian made car you’ve been talking about? :laughing:

We have a different definition of MSRP. Mine is only the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price without any dealer add-ons. To me, your definition is the DSRP.

I think it has to do with the fact that Russia is one of the world’s major sources for Cobalt.
Or, was it a different mineral that is needed for hybrid batteries?
:thinking:

Edited to add…
I just looked it up, and Russia is also a major supplier of Nickel, another metal necessary for hybrid/EV batteries. That could definitely be a problem…

And, China is also a major source of those minerals. With the on-again/off-again shutdowns of China’s ports due to Covid outbreaks, we have already experienced the resulting Supply Chain delays of many other classes of goods, and a steady flow of the necessary minerals from China could be very… iffy.

1 Like

Yours is EXACTLY my definition. Why the confusion? There’s the ‘official’ sticker, with MSRP, and the dealer’s add on sticker, with ADM and/or worthless options, resulting in the dealer charging above MSRP.

Ah, that makes sense.

Dang global market!

Russia and Ukraine lead the global production of metals such as nickel, copper and iron. They are also largely involved in the export and manufacture of other essential raw materials like neon, palladium and platinum.

Fears of sanctions on Russia have increased the price of these metals. With palladium, for example, the current trading price of almost US$2,700 per ounce, up over 80% since mid-December. Palladium is used for everything from automotive exhaust systems and mobile phones to dental fillings. The prices of nickel and copper, which are used in manufacturing and building respectively, have also also been soaring.

Nissan Juke being manufactured in Sunderland

Metals like palladium are essential in automotive manufacturing. John Angerson/Alamy

The aerospace industries of the US, Europe and Britain also depend on supplies of titanium from Russia. Boeing and Airbus have already approached alternative suppliers. However, the market share and product base of leading Russian supplier VSMPO-AVISMA make it impossible to fully diversify away from it, with some of the aerospace manufacturers having signed long-term supply contracts up to 2028.

For all these materials, we can expect disruptions and potential shortages, threatening to lead to increased prices for many products and services.

5. Microchips

Shortages of microchips were a major problem throughout 2021. Some analysts had been predicting that this problem would ease in 2022, but recent developments might dampen such optimism.

As part of the sanctions towards Russia, the US has been threatening to cut off Russia’s supply of microchips. But this rings hollow when Russia and Ukraine are such key exporters of neon, palladium and platinum, all of which are critical for microchip production.

About 90% of neon, which is used for chip lithography, originates from Russia, and 60% of this is purified by one company in Odessa. Alternative sources will require long term investments prior to being able to supply the global market.

Chip manufacturers currently hold an excess of two to four weeks’ additional inventory, but any prolonged supply disruption caused by military action in Ukraine will severely impact the production of semiconductors and products dependent on them, including cars.