New 2007 Audi A4 burns oil

Is it normal for a new 2007 Audi A4 2.0 to burn a quart or more of oil every 3500 to 4000 miles ? My low oil light comes on every 3500 to 4000 miles and I have been told by Audi its normal for synthetic oil. I have a friend with the exact same car(new also) and he does not have this problem. Why on earth would a car be designed to burn so much oil ? I think they are jerking me around. Im tired of driving around with quarts of oil in my trunk. Has anyone heard of this or can explain what may be the problem ?

Thanks- Rich S.

Believe it or not, the consumption of 1 qt. of oil every 3,500-4,000 miles is considered to be within normal limits, even for a new car. Yes, it is annoying, especially in view of the price that you paid for that car, but it is not considered to be abnormal according to most vehicle manufacturers. And, this has nothing to do with your oil being of the synthetic variety.

That being said, I would strongly suggest that you check the dipstick more often, and that you not wait until a warning light comes on before adding oil. It is better for your engine to add 1/2 qt twice during that span of miles, rather than waiting until it is down a full qt. befoe adding oil.

A number of other Audi owners have complained in this forum about the exact same problem, so I think that your friend may actually be the exception to the rule, and that your experience is actually more typical for this car.

thats it?

you got a good one!

Not unusual for a VW/Audi to burn oil.

My '03 VW Passat burns oil at a rate of up to 1qt per 1000 miles, and it’s done it since new. It tends to do it as the oil gets older. My guess is that it’s going out my valve stem seals, as the various lab analysis results I’ve gotten on my oil show no signs of blowby. Some burn more than others. Its unusual for the 4 cyl engine in this application to burn oil, but not unprecedented.

Make sure you do the following, though. Your car requires a VW spec 505.00 oil. Castrol Syntec 5W-40 synthetic fulfills this requirement, there’s a short list of what oils that conform to this spec. Your oil change interval is 10,000 miles iirc, which is only achievable IF YOU USE THE RIGHT OIL. Here’s the most recent list, Technical Bulletin 17 08 01:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

Additionally, this is a turbocharged engine. Low oil levels are very bad for the turbo. Be vigilant with your oil level.

Up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is tolerable for 90 percent of cars; yes even new ones that just drove off the lot.

It depends on driving style (if you drive at higher rpms, the heat is higher … oil burns off easier), outside temp, etc. You might want to try thicker oil in the hotter months.

Btw, does your friend use synthetic as well?

You guys have got to be kidding me. My 2007 Audi A4 was initially serviced at 5K. At the 8K mark, the oil indicator light appears when I’m on a road trip. I find a service station and find out that I’m 2.25 QUARTS low. That is UNBELIEVABLE! Whomever says this is normal behavior, why is this not happening with 2005 or 2006 A4s? I have family members that own one of each. Who would want to spend money for a new car but have to take care of it like an old car??? There is growing discontent with the excuses we have been given.

This is common to many if not all auto manufacturers. GM’s Saturn division was one of the first. Not all of the cars will use this much oil, but some do. I have never had to add, nor been more than about 1/8" low on the dipstick between changes and I don’t change oil early. It appears to be a matter of luck.

I agree, this has happened to me twice.
And I have NEVER had this problem with older cars, so why would a new car have this problem. I now have to keep quarts of oil in my trunk just in case I get too low. I thought an advantage of synthetic is that it lasted longer/didn’t burn. So why need synthetic and pay more when it just burns up? Its not like its cheap to do a synthetic oil change!