Neon Shifts into neutral when accelerating

I have a 1995 Plymouth Neon with automatic trans that when accelerating hard shifts into neutral. When you really hit the gas, it feels like there is a block under the pedal, and when you push through the block it slips into neutral. I have found out that by holding the shifter and keeping it from shifting into neutral it will accelerate without a problem. Fluid level is good. Linkage problem? Any other ideas?

Motor Mounts, and or linkage is what I would suspect.

I agree that this certainly sounds like a problem with motor mounts and/or transmission mounts. I suggest having all of these mounts checked very closely.

Look on your throttle body for a linkage or cable that goes down to the transmission. If it has one, that will be the ‘kick-down’ function that forces am immediate downshift when you floor the gas pedal. The kickdown often causes a stiff spot in the gas pedal travel, especially if it needs to be lubricated or replaced. Disconnect it and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you are on the right track, but you are probably going to need the help of a competent mechanic to correct the problem.