Need to replace a sway bar link 1992 Chevy Cavalier

How do I replace the sway bar link in a 1992 Chevy Cavalier?

Unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one. The procedure is very simple. It can get more difficult if you have to cut rusted fasteners, but it’s basically a bolt on and off thing.

Usually I have had to put the bolt in and then take a jack to the bolt head in order to compress it enough to get the nut started. Otherwise the bolt isn’t long enough with the new uncompressed rubber bushings to get the nut started. Works for me.

If the old link is so rusted the hardware won’t loosen, then it’s better to put a socket and breaker bar on the hardware and tighten it until it snaps off. Otherwise it my require a cut-off wheel or a torch to cut the old link out.

Tester

The problem I’m having is how do I get it in between stabilizer shaft & the control bar. When I tried to place it there I can’t get in to fit. I don’t want to remove the control arm, so what do I do?

Either place a pry tool under the stabilizer bar end and on the subframe or other feature that allows prying up on the end of the stabilizer bar, or use the same tool between the top of the lower control arm and frame/feature to force the control arm down. Either one should allow the link to be inserted between the two.

Tester