Need more power

Hello I just bought a 1987 Toyota Supra inline 6 twin cam. I’m trying to find easy ways to get some extra torque and horsepower. Mainly torque sense that’s what really matters when it comes to take off.

#Big acceleration upgrades

Supercharging gives the most bang for the buck…But when you start flogging a 28 year old car, don’t expect the engine or transmission to tolerate it for long…Projects like this can get very expensive very fast…

Well I already have ordered a rebuilt manual trans because the one in it is automatic. How much is a supercharger run?

Before or after it blows the engine up?
Caddyman is right. Even brand new these engines were not designed to withstand the additional chamber pressures that a supercharger would create. After 28 years of wear they’ll be even less likely to withstand them.

Is it your assumption that the new manual tranny will just bolt in place of the automatic?
Did it occur to you that the tranny mounts, the driveshaft, the rear gears, and the rest of the powertrain might be different on the manual than on the automatic?
Can you handle installing the shifter and the clutch system?
Did you order the clutch assembly and hydraulic system components?
Did you get a new flywheel to replace the flexplate with?

My assumption is that of you had the budget to be replacing the automatic tranny with a manual you’d have started with something newer and more in line with your goals.

If you decide to proceed, plan to spend a ton of cash. If you decide to supercharge the engine, plan on pushing a rod through the sidewall. Supercharging an engine means placing a lot of extra stress on the pistons, the wrist pins, the connecting rods, the crankshaft, the crankshaft bearing bolts, and a few other things that I’m forgetting. An brand new stock engine rarely gets supercharged without either stronger internals or serious problems. A 28 year old one doesn’t stand a chance.

Sincere best.
TSM

Just a detail, Caddyman, but IMHO N2O provides the biggest bang. You get the bang of the combustion and the additional bang of the rod breaking free and exiting the engine, or the head hitting the underside of the hood, or something similar.

Accually I bought the tranny to match the 2jz for a full engine swap. The engine will arrive at my brothers shop in about two weeks. I wasn’t looking for criticism, I was looking for ideas. I’d like to keep the original engine instead of the swap because who else builds from the ground up. Everyone just wants to swap engines and say screw it.

Apologies. I underestimated your foresight. The reply was not meant to criticize, but we get kids posting here that buy a car and decide to soup it up without any understanding of what that really entails.

I’d do the tranny, keep the old motor and hold off on supercharging it, and do a total rebuild/upgrade on the old engine for hopping up. IMHO that’s the best way to get the best results.

Thanks. I bought the car a few days ago and the inline 6 is way under powered for what it should be so I ordered the 2jz sense it’s the same price as rebuilding the original the way I wanted. No sense in rebuilding an old engine with stock internals when trying to get extra power. Spent about 2200$ for engine and 750$ on trans. Bought car for 2k I’m 5k in car already budget is set for 8500$ so what’s in budget for power. I was thinking a single turbo and good tuners chip. 2jz and turbo should easily push 400wrhp correct?

Are you expecting power and torques curves with the new motor?
The turbo boost will be adjustable via the wastegate, and the final number will depend upon the combination.

To get 400hp, you’re also going to have to upgrade the injectors as well as reprogramming the ECU. If the engine is simply rebuilt to stock spec, you might be pushing it beyond its limits by shooting for 400HP. Supra sites might be a good source of this type of specific information too.

Do you have access to a dyno?

Without turbo or supercharging, there’s not much to be gained. I’d concentrate on getting the engine restored back to factory fresh condition, and putting in the particular handling/ride combination you like.

The 2jz has been well known stock to hold 400hp with turbo I don’t know much about the 2jz I’ve owned the 1uz

Cool.

The 1987 Supra is pretty hot stock. I would be more than satisfied with it’s performance. I coveted this car back in the day but never got one. Converting an auto to manual can be problematic. Many years ago I (with help) I converted a manual to automatic. I’m a manual guy. I had already salvaged the engine and manual for another project. It was not very difficult. It is hindsight now but I would have tried to find a manual Supra. I can’t understand why anyone would buy an automatic in this car to begin with.

It was a great price and local

Just for the record, the 1uz is a four cam v8. In the Lexus sc400. I’ve been doing some research and I can’t find anything on why the original engine could be so bogged out? It’s like it has no power from 1krpms to 4500rpms

Well I got my answers how do I close this thread

you don t …

Ok didn’t know that

If you’re still following this and based on the bogging out comment you might consider either a clogged converter or retarded ignition timing.

There are other things it could be but I’m assuming the definition of bogging is a general sluggish feeling much like stepping on a large bag of marshmallows when you floor the pedal.