Need help locating part

I noticed a fuel odor, both when filling up and when driving my '88 Dakota with more than half a tank. A little investigation determined the rubber fuel filler neck grommet had begun to deteriorate, which is understandable on a 23-y.o. vehicle.

Problem is, I’m having trouble locating the part. I’ve gone to the local parts store, and I’ve done “online searches” at several others, without success.

What to do? I haven’t tried the dealership, but I don’t hold out a lot of hope that they’ve got a part that old in stock. The junkyard also seems a poor choice for a rubber part.

So I’m asking your help.

Even if the dealer doesn’t have it in stock, they can get it.

Do you have a part number?

You might be surprised at what the dealership can get for you. One local Ford dealership carries Model T parts still, and Ford themselves brags that they can source nearly all the parts for a 64 1/2 Mustang still…

On the other hand, you may not be able to get anything. One local Toyota dealer told me that they couldn’t help me on basic maintenance parts for a 1998 Camry.

Dealer would be your best shot. I have gotten “new” parts for a 35 year old truck.

Is this what you are looking for?,carcode,1087354,parttype,6272

Look thru these listings and see if anything might fit. Look at pipe/tube sealing grommets.



I’ll try the dealer, but that certainly looks like it’d work “if all else fails…”

all you need is a radiator hose of correct diameter and hose clamps. Just cut the hose to fit