Need Help Determining Value of 1964-1/2 Mustang

I have a 1964.5 Mustang that I have decided to finally sell. It has less than 30K miles on it. I would appreciate any leads/help in determining a selling price and the best place to list/sell.

you should contact a major auto auction house to sell a car like that. its very valuable

If you pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News at a large news stand–like Barnes & Noble–you will see classified ads for virtually every classic car make & model–including the condition of the vehicle and the asking price. This would give you a very good idea of how to price it for sale.

There are too many unknowns to be able to determine a price on this forum. Engine option, condition, and verifiable history of the car accounts for a lot.

My price guide shows about 35k miles on a Number One car and your car is not likely in that condition. No. 1 means as new right off the assembly line and few cars meet that grade.
Going down some and making some assumptions, the guide shows about 15-30k dependent upon whether it’s a No. 2 or No. 3 with extra added for certain options.

The itch to sell and the itch to buy is not figured in when it comes to price guides either.

An auction will be a safer means of selling the car and that would keep you away from the scams and tire kickers that are prevalent on eBay and so on.

You can try the Hagerty Insurance classic valuation tool, here;

You will notice they only list 8 cylinder models. And a LOT of 8 cylinder models. The more common V8, 2 barrel carburetor, notchback cars are priced much differently than V8 4 barrel, GT fastbacks, a much more desired model.

Find your local Mustang Car Club and go to one of their shows and ask around. You will at least find advice on a sale price and maybe a buyer.

If you will give us a full description we can help. Engine/transmission/interior? What condition is it in? Any rust? Where? Paint condition? These are some of the most-sold 60s cars out there, there’s a huge amount of data on Ebay for ‘completed items’, I bet a Mustang just like yours is there.

There is a great difference in price between models…A 6-cylinder coupe is worth only a fraction of what a 289 High-performance GT Fastback 4-speed is worth…These cars can be so valuable, many aftermarket replica’s have been made and they show up at the collector car auctions…Having paperwork that can not be challenged is very important as it is with all collector cars.

I expect there are car brokers that deal in this kind of classic car on a daily basis. They have buyers interested and as soon as you contact them they’ll try to match you up with one of their buyers. And they’ll know all the previous sales, so they can give you an idea of the price range to expect. Of course you’d have to honestly represent to them the actual condition of the car, as that makes a lot of difference in the price someone would be willing to pay.

I’d venture a guess that 1964 1/2 in very good to excellent — but not “like new” – condition with the proper options could easily be worth $40 to $50 K. If you visit your local Barnes and Noble bookstore and look in car magazine section there’s a half-dozen magazines who’s purpose is pricing this type of vehicle. A visit to your local bookstore is probably the place to start.

Hemmings Motor News is also on line.

http://www.hemmings.com

No way $40k for any ‘regular’ '65. There are LOTS of them. As said, it all comes down to options and condition. Without that info, who knows? With it, we can get VERY close.

The OP could also obtain a Marti report which is common among the Mustang crowd. The price level varies on the reports but could provide a wealth of info about the car and could certainly aid in a sale.

It’s also possible that if this car was a ho-hum 6 banger with a 3 speed manual there could be something about it that may make it valuable to a collection. Some odd one-off color or option, etc.

Who would have thought that a very early 70s Chevelle SS big block would have been offered with a Three on The Tree.

Hagerty or one of the other companies that specialize in collector cars and write agreed value policies could give the OP a good idea of a fair market value for the Mustang taking in condition and options into consideration. But the reality is the car is worth what someone wants to pay for it.

Seriously, if you want to know what it’s truly worth, put it on ebay. Set a price you are willing to accept, say $20,000, and let the fun begin. Offer to help load it, but be sure the buyer is aware that they are responsible for setting up shipping and paying for it. If you only get one bid for $20K, at least you got it sold. Note that the bidding tends to go crazy in the last few seconds. I never post with a reserve price, just an acceptable first bid. Post it with a lot of pictures. I have sold a few odd old or antique cars that way. It really works. Read the fine print though. Ebay tends to keep a bunch of your money.

It’s easy to think these cars are more valuable than they are. Mustangs set sales records from the start and the early ones have always been loved. That keeps demand strong, but also means people have kept them in good shape compared to other cars of that era.

Others have given good ideas on places to look for prices. The low mileage is great, but so much depends on the engine and various options. Good luck finding the right buyer.

The only 40,000 + 64 1/2 Mustang is a V8 Fastback with either the 225 HP V8 or the Hi performance 271 HP V8. Anything else is less, far less.

A 6 cylinder convertible on EBay is currently bid at $12,000 and a beautiful 6 cylinder automatic notchback has a starting bid of $5000.

@leeowna - would you give us some more info on your Mustang? We’re curious!

I owned a special ordered 1965 GT Fastback V8 4-speed 225hp. A very cool car then and now…But I got hot pants for a 1967 GT390 Fastback which promised another 100 HP to play with… I ordered it with a 3-speed 'cause that’s all that car needed…The local Ford dealer traded me my car and $500 to boot…He wanted that '65 Fastback 4-speed badly…

I learned later, much later, that the reason for his desire was that V8 4-Speed Mustangs were very hard to get in 1965…I believe Ford did not have a 4-Speed manual transmission of there own and were buying Borg-Warner T-10’s which were scarce because of high demand throughout the industry…So most early Mustangs had automatics or 3-speed transmissions.

While that '67 GT-390 had plenty of power, it was nowhere near as nice a car to drive as the '65 was…It carried 60% of it’s weight on the front wheels making it drive like a snow-plow…

Another footnote: I paid $3000 cash for the 1965 Gt Fastback V8 4-Speed…if you wanted the 289 HiPo engine, 271 hp, that engine option cost $1200 all by itself which I thought was outrageous at the time…In 1967, the 390 engine option was only $280 extra, something like that…Later on, the Boss 302 cost considerably more than a 428 Cobra-Jet, making them very rare…

I happened onto a specialty magazine listing prices for old cars at Barnes and Noble over the weekend that coincidentally has a photo of a 1965 Mustang on the cover! I think the title is “Old Cars Report Price Guide”. It has a whole section on just Mustang prices. (Mustangs are listed in the Ford section, but separately from the rest of the Fords.) As mentioned above, only certain configurations of the 1964 1/2 Mustang in excellent condition command the $40K price tag. Others are considerably less.

If interested, I think this is the magazine

Caddyman Ford introduced the “toploader” 3 and 4 speeds in 1964. They grossly underestimated Mustang sales and did have a 4 speed shortage. 1965s can be found with toploaders and BW T-10s. Carol Shelby insisted on aluminum case super T=10s in the 1965 GT 350s My 1963 Ford Galaxie 406/405 came with one of those. It was by far the best transmission I have ever driven.