Need a transmission put in

i have a 1996 dodge 1500. with a 318 engine in it. my tranny blew and is not crap. if i were to buy a tranny, how much would it cost for a mechanic to put it in and everything.

i meant that the old tranny is crap. my bad

Call around your area and get some quotes.

You are at a unique advantage since you are not looking for a diagnosis. Most people suffering from tranny failure hold to their chests the slim hope that the transmission is maybe okay but just needs more fluid or a screen change and it will work like it’s new again, and that is rare. By deciding that the transmission is truly shot, you can now just shop for the best way to spend your money.
I would get a quote for the replacement from the most reputable transmission shop or local mechanic you can find. A lot of shady things go on with transmission repairs. The lowest is the replacement looks new or rebuilt, but is in fact a junkyard replacement that the shop hopes will outlast the crummy warranty of 30 to 90 days they give you. Use a shop that guarantees the work in writing for full replacement for the longest period. Use a shop that has a very solid reputation. Go online and see if you can find any reference to the shops you get quotes from. Ask around.
I don’t know what it should cost, I would guess as high as $2,000 - $3,000. If you decide the truck is worth the investment, just make sure you get what you’re paying for.

Transmission shops have R&R men and that’s all they do so a tranny shop is your best bet. The transmission you buy must be an EXACT direct replacement. It’s not 1969 anymore. The ECM (the computer) in your truck must like the replacement tranny too…Do your homework or projects like this can turn into a nightmare…

Suggestion #1 Run from any chain transmission shop.

Suggestion #2 Assuming an automatic transmission, change the transmission fluid and clean the filter at least every 40,000 miles.

Suggestion #3 If you are doing a lot of heavy duty hauling, maybe you need a heavier duty truck and make those fluid changes no less than 30,000 miles…