Mystery noise, 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX

We have taken our 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon (manual transmission) back and forth to the dealer 3 or 4 times over the past year because of strange sound that comes and goes. No problem has been found.

Each time we bring the car in for examination the sound disappears. It will make the sound for a while one day and stop the next. The sound is heard when accelerating when the clutch is not engaged. When engaging the clutch to change gears the sound disappears for a moment.

As for the sounds itself- It sounds much like a spinning wheel of fortune. The faster we go, the faster the clicking noise. In a way it reminds me of the sound of a diesel mercedes (I grew up with several).

Most recently we heard the sound when we pulled into the garage and put the car in neutral, but the sound was different, it sounded like a squeeky sound but with the same patterning of rotating wheel of fortune noise.

The next day the sound was gone. Now the sound seems to have disappeared for a few days. We are just worried it could be some major problem down the road especially with the warranty up in January. Any help you can give would be very very much appreciated!

A bad clutch release bearing (a.k.a. throw-out bearing) will make a noise, usually a squeal or squeaking sound, that stops when you depress the clutch pedal. I’ve never heard it described as a clicking sound.

Keep records, because you want it noted by the dealer that the sound, whatever it is, was present BEFORE the warranty expired.