My Tesla buying experience

Been thinking of making this post for awhile now, just never got around to it until today.

Tesla did not let me choose a specific car on their lot, they had demo models for everyone who came in to try out. It was a long range model Y, but at the time I wasn’t too picky.

My experience started a few months ago when I decided to test drive a Model Y at the dealership in Easton(Columbus Ohio). They let me loose after a quick tutorial on how EVs worked in general and then how a Tesla worked. There was a preset route already in the demo model’s navigation and it followed I-270 to the airport 5 miles away. This was a good route, according to the saleswoman, as it gave how it handled on the freeway as well as local traffic. They let me go after I was done, no pressure to buy anything that day, or even if I wanted to start a reservation for a specific trim.

A month or so later the saleslady texts me asking if I was still interested, but I was still contemplating on whether or not to wait for my Silverado EV reservation to come through. I asked if there was a performance model Y available and what the out the door price would be if I bought one in blue or red. She was able to get a specific price with my home zip code(not Columbus’).
Still I was on the fence about buying/ordering one, but was never pressured into making a choice. So I still debated with myself for a couple more weeks until the lady texted me again saying I could come test drive a demo model S, as that was close to the performance of the MYP, just about twice the price, but she acted like it didn’t bother the dealership one bit that I would be driving something I wouldn’t be able to afford- the base model S is $75k and the MYP was atleast $20k less even after taxes.

I finally made my decision to buy the MYP when I saw that they had one- in silver JT!- on their lot. Their website showed what the OTD price was once I put in my “delivery zipcode”. The start of the process had me download the Tesla app after I put my reservation payment down, and that is where most of the dealings took place.

The app asked if I was financing myself, or if Tesla would do it, asked if I had a trade in, then asked for pictures of the odometer and of the car itself for verification, a couple days later I received an offer that I thought was fair for my Bolt($17,800) and I accepted it without waiting to see if another offer would be more(or less). I finalized the paperwork through the app and once it was all processed, I picked a delivery time and date to pick the car up.

I arrived a little early for my appointment and had to wait for a bit before a salesman came to help me. All I had to do was officially sign some paperwork, hand over my title and keys to the Bolt, then sit in my new car and fiddle with it while the salesman finished everything up. He was going to show me how to pair my phone to the car, but I had figured it out and set it up as my key by the time he got to me. He told me of a few other features and thanked me for my business as we shook hands before I left.

It took a few days to complete everything because I had to wait for an offer to come if for my Bolt. I arrived about an hour early for my appointment, but they didn’t care, and even all the waiting I did for a salesman to help me out, finish the paperwork and send me on my way, I was on the way home by the time my appointment was originally set.
I was not pressured at any time during the whole experience, including the texting back and forth with my questions. They didn’t ask if I wanted paint detailing/protection, GAP insurance, extended warranties, or anything. No endless back and forth between salesman and manager haggling over the trade in value or final cost of the car, just a simple business transaction. I get more hassle buying things from Lowes or Best Buy than I did from Tesla. It felt more like I was borrowing a friends car rather than buying one.
I wasn’t too sure if I’d like the silver or not, but the trim, rims and door handles all being black really set things off and the red calipers just “pop”. Hopefully the pictures uploaded correctly for everyone.

To say the thing is fast is putting it mildly. My Bolt was quick, but really putting the pedal down makes me feel like I’m in a Fast and Furious movie and just hit the “nawz” button.
My biggest gripe is the ll glass roof and no sunshade to go over it- it’s made the last bit of summer weather suck inside the car. Might not be so bad in the winter time, though, should help keep the interior a little warmer. I have since bought a sunshade for the inside, I just need to install it. It’s also easy to forget because I have so much headroom in the car I don’t really notice it until I look up.

It’s taken some getting used to to making sure I have the app open before I head out to get into it and closing the app after I make sure the doors are locked after I get out of it.

The available cargo space is just mind boggling. You have the frunk space up front, the normal cargo area of an SUV in the back plus 2 deep pockets on either side that can fit a gallon jug of milk in each of them easily, then you have even MORE space under the normal cargo floor, and that’s not counting the extra space folding the back seats flat give you. I just wish the frunk lid was power assisted like the tailgate is.

All in all, every other dealership could learn a thing or three from Tesla’s business model to make it a pleasant experience for everyone involved and not like a trip to the dentist when buying a vehicle. In and out in an hour, less if I wouldn’t have had to wait for someone to come help me initially- who wouldn’t love that?

6 Likes

Here’s my last experience. We drove to the Acura dealer and met with the sales lady we had met at the auto show. I had worked the numbers out ahead of time. After a half hour we were still a couple thousand apart so I took a hike and had a cup of coffee and supplements. My wife was eager to close the deal. I came back and with still no movement on the bottom line said we will take it. Took about an hour fir final prep and paperwork but drove it home. No muss no fuss.

1 Like

My purchase at a non-predatory Lexus dealership was accomplished in less than 1 hour. While your experience is noteworthy, it’s not really unique… IF someone does his/her pre-purchase diligence (I visited–and eliminated–three Lexus dealerships before settling on the one from whom I purchased my vehicle).

That being said, I suspect that Tesla’s dealership experience is more corporate-driven than that of most dealerships, so your hassle-free experience would likely apply to all Tesla dealerships,

Looks a lot like my buying experience for the Model 3. I also tried to buy one off the lot but they assured me that it would be built and delivered by the end of February. As you may recall, that was the IRS cutoff for the $7500 tax credit. It was available on the $26th.

I don’t mind the glass roof since it’s tinted. It hasn’t been a heat problem even though I live in tropical Maryland. :wink:

Did you get the Performance, SR or LR? I find the performance of my SR Model 3 is great since torque is all in instantly. I don’t stomp on it since that drains the battery quickly. I got my ya-yas out with that after the first couple of recharges. I agree that storage is excellent, in my case within the midsize sedan class.

Informative post, thanks for sharing your Tesla buying experience summary. I don’t understand this part:

One more question if you will allow, if you had to pay extra to compensate your state for extra road damage the car causes (weight of car, acceleration), would you have complained about that?

I only have one question, who parked the car?

If I read it right, 3.3 to 3.4ish 0-60mph!!??!!!

George would have a Heart attack, Stroke, Aneurysm, Anxiety attack and a total melt down going that fast… just picking George… lol

If ever in Nashville area, I’m ready for a ride… :drooling_face:

All that aside, congrats on your new ride and experience, I’m not a big EV guy, but dang they are picking away at getting my attention little by little… And your MYP is a great example of what they are…

I am assuming the the MYP = Model Y Performance?.. Like jtsandes Model 3 would be a M3

From my understanding Tesla does not keep trade-ins- save for other Teslas maybe- so I basically had to wait for an auction site/carmax/whatever to look at the pictures of my Bolt, go over the information I gave them about it and give me a price on what they’d pay me for my trade in.

Are you asking about the “road tax”? I knew about it ahead of time because the Bolt was also full EV- an extra $200 per year here in Ohio for full EVs($100 more for hybrid cars) on top of the normal registration fees. The DMV folks also let me know about it with my Bolt and again when I transferred my Tesla to my personalized plate I had recently gotten. I do complain about spending the extra money, but also know the government is gonna fleece me out of more tax money regardless, but it’s still cheaper than buying gas every couple weeks throughout the year.

I got the performance model. 455 horsepower 480 torque, 3.5 seconds 0-60 and 303 miles on 100% charge(~245 miles at 80%).
As for the IRS tax write off, it has been renewed for several more years from the looks of it- 2032 according to the IRS’ website- and I get the full $7500.

The dealership did. That’s how it was parked for me when I got there

2 Likes

That might be true, or… maybe not.
One of the scamming Lexus dealers that I eliminated from my list offered me an insulting $1k trade-in value for my pristine 11 year old Outback 6-cylinder Limited, which looked like it had just rolled out of a showroom. I asked why they were offering such a ridiculously-low value, and I was told, “Other than Lexuses, the only cars that we will put on our used car lot are Toyotas”.

I was standing outside at that point with the saleswoman, and I said… “What about that Nissan, that Mazda, that Infiniti, and that Jaguar?”. She turned very red, and had no response.

By going to another dealership (which didn’t charge any markup on the sticker price), I got $7,500 for my trade-in.

1 Like

I didn’t see any other vehicles besides customers who were there. Granted, it was a small lot, so I’m not sure if a larger dealership would have more cars on the lot. The closest dealership to me was the Easton dealership, only other dealerships I see in Ohio are 2 in Cincinnati, 1 in Akron and 1 in Cleveland all of which are at least 100 miles in either direction of me- Easton was only 45 miles away.

A big IF, which most people do not, or will not, do. Since most people shop for a car on the very same day they need a new car, they wouldn’t have had the time to research or look around. I had plenty of time to look at prepare, which is why I always tell people the best time to shop for a new vehicle is when you don’t need one. It gives people the chance to look around and try things out before their car breaks down and they need something else.

1 Like

Yup!
Many–perhaps most–people do not…

Back in the days before Costco started taking appointments for tire installation, I asked the tire center manager which were the best days (or times of day) to come in for installation. He said that it was really unpredicatable, but the days to definitely avoid were rainy days, because people who had been riding around on bald tires for a long time suddenly decided to buy tires when they started hydroplaning or skidding.

He said that they really get “slammed” on rainy days, simply because so many people don’t plan ahead.

We called it Liquid Gold… lol

1 Like

The reason I asked about who parked the car was that the vehicles in the background seemed to represent the average parking lot at a mall and those white posts could have denoted the reserved parking for Grocery Pick-up spots… and it did not look like a dealership’s lot…

In the late '60s I worked at two large dealerships in Albany, NY. The Ford dealership was Orange Motors and the Dodge Dealership was Albany Dodge. Both dealerships are still there but under new ownership with new names… However, back then when a high end, late model competitor’s car was “traded-in” it was detailed to the nth degree, and place out front with an extra wide parking space. They wanted all to see that their cars (the Fords and the Dodges…) were so good that customers with a competitor’s late model, expensive vehicle, were so unsatisfied with those cars that they traded them in…

I put “traded-in” in quotes as some of us were not too sure those cars were actually traded-in or borrowed or bought at auction… Perhaps only a “Marketing Tool” We never saw any of them sold, they were price too high… Makes you wonder…

Where I live now, we have some small new vehicle dealerships and I do know that if they will take a trade-in that is beat, they auction it off and they might “back-fill” the lot so if does not look like they are going out of business… A neighbor traded in her not-too-old Nissan in for a newer, used Ford Explorer and they kept her Nissan on their lot…

I imagine that the last few days of any month and the first few days at the beginning of any month are also busy as those folks that procrastinated about their state inspection are also the type that procrastinate about buying new tires and when their cars fail the state inspection, they try to replace the tires within the 10-day window…

Thanks for sharing. I have been considering a new car and gradually leaning more toward something like this. So appreciate the detailed info on the process and experience.

Great looking car, really like the color you chose! I love everything about its styling except that dished front end. The front end looks better in your color than white for example as it stands out less. But something about that design feature bugs me…wish they would put something there like a faux grille or something to break it up. Surprising that doesn’t adversely impact drag to some degree…

Curious how you still got the full credit considering the battery requirements? Did they push out the implementation timeline on that requirement?

Back in the '60s, J.C. Whitney sold a really bad-looking aftermarket grill for Corvairs. This one looks much better than the ones that Whitney sold:

2 Likes

An example of the “careful what you wish for…” it can always be worse kind of deal :grinning:

My understanding is the the MY battery cells and assembled battery are assembled in Austin, TX. They use enough US materials to qualify for the full tax credit. I don’t understand how the M3 qualifies. It’s battery cells are assembled in China using Chinese materials. Maybe that changed.

1 Like

And this is why it’s best to have more cars than people who drive. In my family of three people, one being a 9-year old boy, we have two cars and a truck. The cars are driven just about every day, and the truck is driven less than 2,000 miles in a year. However, when one of our cars breaks down, and needs to be out-of-service for a while, the truck becomes a daily driver until I have the car up and running again. If I needed to replace one of our vehicles, I would be able to take my time and find a model I really want, at I price I am willing to pay.

In fact, for about a year, I had a fourth car, but I hardly ever had time to drive it, and the in-laws needed a car, so I gave it to them. I did a lot of work on that car to make it dependable, and so far it’s been solid transportation for them…even though it’s nearly 35 years old.

1 Like