My saab 9-5 2001 sometimes doesn't start

My mechanic has had my car in and out of the shop. It is mysterious. Soemtimes the SAAb just doesn’t start. IT seems like if I roll it forward and get the wheels to fully rotate it will sometimes start afterwards. My mechanic thinks it has more to do with internal temperature so it is an issue of giving it time and the rolling has nothing to do with it. But it isn’t like the engine is turning over and it isn’t starting—it makes no noise. It is weird. And then it is fine. And it seems to be getting worse.

Tell us exactly what happens when you get in the car and put in the key and turn the key. Is there a clicking sound from under the hood? Is there a thunk sound? Is there a rurrrurrrurrr sound? Is there no sound at all?

No sound at all. Absolutely silent. Like it isn’t even trying to turn on.
It is WEIRD.

Does this car have an automatic transmission?
If so, stone silence while attempting a start usually points to a faulty neutral safety switch or a faulty ignition switch.

It can be difficult to determine which is the problem on an intermittent fault like this.
If the car is acting up, and stays acting up, it’s not difficult to perform a couple of tests to determine exactly which one is at fault. The trick is making the car stay stupid until the determination is made.

You said your mechanic thinks that the car starting has more to do with sitting for a while than with rolling the wheels? Does that mean that you have the no start problem when the car is hot? If that’s the case, have him look at the crank shaft position sensor.

Read this post (found on the same page this morning, 2 posts down): http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2141017.page

It could be a faulty DIC. These seem to have a reputation.

Thanks for the helpful responses. My mechanic told me that the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch need to be replaced. He installed a button for me to press which overrides the problem so I can start the car when the ignition switch won’t do it, but it is just a temporary fix. The repairs he needs to do are unfortunately expensive and now I am worried it isn’t worth it. The alarm is always acting up as well. Even though we disconnected it, it went off the other afternoon for no reason. I feel like it is old and just getting really grumpy.
I will have my mechanic look at the crank shaft position sensor.
But i am terribly sad that the car seems to be on its last legs.
It was great for 10 years but now it is a hot mess.

[qoute]Thanks for the helpful responses. My mechanic told me that the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch need to be replaced. He installed a button for me to press which overrides the problem so I can start the car when the ignition switch won’t do it, but it is just a temporary fix. The repairs he needs to do are unfortunately expensive and now I am worried it isn’t worth it. The alarm is always acting up as well. Even though we disconnected it, it went off the other afternoon for no reason. I feel like it is old and just getting really grumpy.
I will have my mechanic look at the crank shaft position sensor.
But i am terribly sad that the car seems to be on its last legs.
It was great for 10 years but now it is a hot mess.[/qoute]

Hi there, sorry for the disturbance. I have just some Saab repair questions to raise. The same problem with yours. Just want to ask if the mechanic did some inspection on the wirings…or if he has a manual for it…where can i get one?