My manual makes a rattling sound

Another nice thing about a manual is you can roll/pop start it if you have starting issues. If you have any battery voltage, it should start this way. You need some power to energize the alternator so a really dead or missing battery won’t work for this.

By the time you get to be older, there probably will not be any stick shifts left.

2 Likes

As long as there is Europe, Asia, South American and any number of 3rd world countries, there will always be manual transmissions.

Nope, they have (and continue to) evolve, just as we have. And besides, EV’s dont need conventional transmissions.

@Mustangman I had a question about a specific bolt. I couldn’t find much info on it looking at the layout but I attached a picture below. I was going to check my fill plug to see if anything leaked out since and went to grab some stuff and my dad wanted to help out and check it. but he pulled that mystery bolt out thinking it was the fill plug and said a little fluid leaked out and put it back in. I assume it’s a backup fill hole but it’s half an inch when the regular fill plug is an inch. sorry if it seems like a stupid question but I am curious if you have an insight on what it is

That upper plug will have oil on it because it is exposed to the inside of the trans. It may be there for a remote vent you don’t have, or manufacturing access, service or other. Put it back, forget it and use the fill hole on the other side

Will do thank you. my main concern was if it dropped a part inside of the gearbox/transmission or something but now that I know that’s not an issue all is good!

i have another stupid question. its been cold where I live and in the morning after sitting out at night
my first few gears are a little rough when shifting but after driving for a few mins it gets better. is that normal?

Yup, perfectly normal. The gear oil is cold and thick. It warms when you drive it and then shifts more normal.

Welcome to old cars! Old single weight gear oils… like straight 90 weight… took more warming than 75W90 multi weight oils. Synthetics even less.

1 Like

Again, make sure the proper fluid is actually in this thing. I would assume it takes regular old ATF. Go to the parts store and it should be in the computer what you need to buy. Regular gear oil isn’t used in many manual transmissions, especially those with brass synchros.

Yes it is normal for a cold manual to shift a tad harder but this could be a sign that the wrong fluid is in it or it is old and needs to be changed.

Now that I had time to mess with the gears and rpm’s I I found out that 2 gear shifts pretty smooth at 2000 rpm’s but anything higher than like 2300 and it shifts a lot rougher. All my higher gear shift great at high or low rpm’s does that still sound like just a worn synchros problem?

Yes it does. Just slow your hand a bit on the 1-2 shift. That should help.

Okay, thanks. and I’ve taken the shift cover off to just listen to my transmission and when driving in gear you can hear it running/moving just meaning its not silent and when letting off the gas and slowing down it has a slight whiring nothing crazy. is that normal? i assume because its a bunch of gears moving in a box its not supposed to be completely silent. or maybe its other moving things I’m hearing

Whirring is normal.

that’s what I thought. I’ve also noticed light clanking when pushing past 3000 in the first few gears which is kind of concerning

I have a question about brakes. Today I when I was pulling out of my street I stopped at a sign and my brakes stopped at first then went loose, like I could keep pressing down to the floor and nothing was happening. As soon I lift off and back on it worked again. Then some more driving I pulled in a parking spot and it did the same thing. So I drove another 6 miles to my destination cautiously and constantly pumped the brakes the whole way and it never did it again. What could this be? Bad plates low brake fluid? I had the truck for a little over 3 months and this is the first time it happened

If the brake fluid isn’t low, a master cylinder that’s leaking internally will cause the [pedal to sink to the floor.

Tester

1 Like

I’ll have to do some research on it but does the master cylinder leak brake fluid and is it a hard part to access

It’s mounted on the brake vacuum booster on the firewall.

Tester

Oh ok that’s a relief. Like I said I can just lift off and back on it works again so do you think it’s a bad idea driving around until I figure out I mean could it just fail completely.sorry if I’m asking silly questions man but but I’m not that mechanically inclined and learning as I go