My manual makes a rattling sound

You don’t have to downshift if you don’t want to if you are going to stop. If just slowing, then yes, you should. You also don’t have to pop it into neutral when stopping. Keep the clutch down and put it into 1st gear when you are almost stopped. Hold the clutch down in 1st until it is time to go that way you are ready to go when the light changes. And ready to go if something bad is about to happen you’d like to get away from.

If I’d put the car in neutral at lights during my driving test, I would have failed. It isn’t illegal, just not advised by the examiner.

ok thanks! and why do you think it died in neutral? I had my buddy test drive right before and he was up shifting in lower rpms than i would if that makes a difference.
Not trying to sound like a hypochondriac about my ride but any knowledge is good in my book

Stalling can be a number of things such as the IAC—
“The idle air control (IAC) valve or actuator controls the idle speed of fuel injected vehicles. It takes control of engine rotational speed only when your foot is off the accelerator. It is controlled by the computer and idle speed is determined by engine temperature. If you notice your vehicle idling roughly or stalling, it could point to a problem with the IAC valve.”

Follow Mustangman’s advice, I rarely put a manual transmission in neutral.
As far as when to upshift, depends on the situation, slow urban driving you can upshift earlier, fast acceleration such as merging onto an interstate highway, shift point can be later. More a matter of “feel” and experience. As long as you are not lugging the engine (lugging the engine refers to trying to accelerate when you’re in too high a gear. So put most simply, you’re straining the engine. You’re making it struggle.) you’re okay. On the other hand, do not routinely take it to the redline on your tachometer.

Did you get the heat shield fixed? Did that solve the rattle?

What engine do you have? 2.3, 3.0, or 4.0? How many miles on it?

Your truck is nearly 30 years old. Have you brought all maintenance up to date, oil&filter change, air filter change, coolant, etc?

1 Like

I was always told that doing that puts excess wear on the throw out bearing. is that not true anymore. or just not enough to worry about?

1 Like

It is still true. I don’t think it is enough to worry about based on my experiences… 2 clutches with 100K miles and perfect throwout bearings (that I changed anyway!)

But it puts the driver in the position of not to being able to move the car quickly in an emergency which is why that is a “fail” on a driver’s test. Sometimes I would select neutral in the car or on the bike depending on the situation.

1 Like

is it okay to skip gears when downshifting? i was in 4 gear going 40 and my turn came up quickly so i put it into neutral took my turn and was at 20 miles per hour so I skipped 3rd and went into 2nd when i did this it jolted and made a sound so I assumed i just didn’t match me rpms good enough and kept going okay . when i turned my other corner my tranny made a weird sound like it popped out of gear or whatever I’m not sure, i immediately put it into neutral and stopped and started in first and even ran another errand and there seems to be no damage but it was weird.

i did not fix the heatsheild yet and a 3.0 v6. i still need to change the oil filter

is it okay to skip gears when downshifting? .
Yes and no depending on the situation I am probably a lot older than you. I have way over 50 years behind me driving manual transmission’s. I would suggest if you know someone like me to drive it and see if they think it is the truck or your driveing methods.

how would you explain the different methods? is the one i explained earlier okay?

Yes you can skip gears but it sounds like you need to delay the downshift and/or slow your hand down a bit when you shift to let the syncros catch the gear up to speed.

Remember one thing. it is a lot cheaper to replace brakes than a clutch.
So, you might be better off just braking than downshifting. at least until you get use to driving a manual.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to explain in word’s it just comes natural to me I would have be with you to show you what I mean that is why I said to find someone like me to see what they think.

Please sell this car and buy one with an automatic transmission! This one definite is not for you. You’re going to give yourself a heart attack.

2 Likes

i wouldn’t say that! I understand I’ve had a lot of concerns on here but I’m just trying to learn everything i can. an automatic would be a lot more simple of course but learning a manual is fun. I’ve just been asking about my mistakes on here to get that superior knowledge from you guys

I’ve driven manuals for decades, only downshift when necessary, not while stopping. That’s what brakes are for.

1 Like

You must not drive in heavy rush hour traffic because that is not fun with a manual .
You are making this way too complicated.

2 Likes

I have a few times and merging does suck. Even though I may have made things complicated each question has gotten a awnser that I learned something from

i think I finally have it down. I’ve been shifting at 3k and felt that was a little high for my first gear but between 2500 to 3k seems a lot smoother to me. I have a feel for my gears and my synchros. and hear when the engine wants to up/downshift.
i might of had some stupid moments with some grinds and bad shifting and over worrisome questions but now things are feeling pretty smooth

??? 3000 RPM is not too high . Lugging is down around 1000 to 1500 and the Red Line might be as high as 5000 or 6000 .

Curious , what is your age ?

well, i guess lugging was the wrong terminology. I’ve still got a lot to learn about mechanics. what I meant is that 2500 has been a lot better on gas mileage and feels a little smoother. 3000 at first gear felt too high but 3,4,5 felt fine pushing it that high
but 2500 still feels better to me. I’m 20. one of the reasons I wanted a manual is that I wanted a small truck and the ford ranger was a good deal. I thought it would be good to learn a stick shift before I before i get older.