My luck.. new car issues

Oy, @sunfish, I’m sorry to learn you were dissatisfied with the climate here on the community. My mailbox remains open to you, and I do encourage you to make use of the forum flagging system if you find comments to be unhelpful, disrespectful, or offensive. I have also made a point of urging some of the regulars to ease up on new people - enough that they probably get tired of hearing from me.

@Sunfish, I can personally assure you that Carolyn takes action when anyone crosses the line, even when the troll fully deserved what I said.

3 Likes

I have never minded Carolyn admonishing me when I get too snarky. I do get a little testy when newcomers start name calling because they are offended by the free advice they are given. Many of us grew up before the sensitivity police existed.

3 Likes

And there have been MANY trolls :frowning:

3 Likes

The lock problem COULD be due to sticky mechanisms. Some lubricant sprayed into the latch assemblies MAY help this problem.

As for dying at speed that could be the battery or alternator, ignition switch, main relay, crank sensor, or any one of a dozen other items. You were asked a few simple questions about the CEL, having a VOM, and so on and chose not to respond to those queries.

I don’t see that Volvo and Mustang were out of line. As far as badmouthing it seems to me you dumped on a lot of people on this forum and out of of this forum by the “mechanics are crooks” insinuations and the “elitist” comments.

This is Sunday night. Take a deep breath, calm down, and let’s give this another shot tomorrow.

Frankly with the number of similar “ask an inane and rambling question and then proceed to spend days insulting and arguing with people who give you free answers” posts that have been cropping up over the last few months, I suspect it’s either the same troll, or a group of trolls recruited by the original.

The problem with allowing them to continue is that eventually regulars will get tired of seeing the same garbage over and over and drift away to find other things to do.

4 Likes

No dealership involved…wouldn’t take a 20 year old car to the dealership either…

OP, you should have seen what they did to me last August. The worst thing a person can do according to the mechanics on here IS ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR CAR. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED.

And, I did know, And, several admitted that yes, current business model makes it nearly impossible to fix a bad intermittent. If they can’t verify the problem you get a big bill and no fix.

I knew this. My work for over 30 years was as a diagnostician in avionics. So, I kept observing the problem until I found someone who had another Sienna, and had th4e charcoal canister replaced. Problem fixed.

Yet several mechanics treated me like absolute dirt, and insisted they never wanted to work for anyone like me. ALL BECAUSE I FIGURED OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MY CAR AND PAID THE DEALER TO REPLACE THE BAD PART.

In general there are some really good guys on here. But, in my many years of reading this forum, that was the worst ever thread on the board.

One even said I could not say what was wrong with my car unless (I forget exactly) went to mechanic school and wrenched for X years.

One man even told a tale, essentially comparing me to the worst customer, a real dirt bag, he ever had, who signed a waiver then sued him when it didn’t fix it. All because I actually knew what was wrong with my car.

I broke a promise due to lack of time, to write a thread on things mechanics have done to me over the years. I haven’t forgotten, but it will take time to write properly.

1 Like

Well, I, for one, can hardly wait…

;-]

1 Like

I read back on that thread from August last year…I wouldn’t exactly call that the complete truth. I wouldn’t necessarily call your thread trolling, but you were very precise in how you phrased your posts to elicit strong reaction(s) from the mechanics and others on this site. Frankly, many of the mechanics (even the ones you were subtly attacking) were very polite for quite awhile before the thread completely degraded.

If anyone is curious: Intermittent failues are such a pain - #104 by irlandes

2 Likes

I think before you do anything else…check the battery and alternator. With a weak battery or going-bad alternator the car can do all sort of things that you wouldn’t dream are possible, Start with this, any other suggestions/recommendations are pure speculation.

1 Like