My dream car...a Ford Bronco

I’ve been watching Wheeler Dealers and a 1992 Ford Bronco came up. I’ve always dreamed of having a Ford Bronco. Especially the years of 1992-1996. Am I crazy for wanting one? I know they are getting up there in price and popularity. I’ve always wanted an Eddie Bauer edition with the 351 Windsor engine! I’ve looked at some posts online having these models for sale. They are averaging 15-20k in very good condition. Wow…is that pretty average for a Bronco of that generation? Has anyone had a Bronco before?

You’re not crazy to want one but check around online because I’m seeing one’s from $5,000 up to $25,000 with the nicer ones running $10,000 or more.

1 Like

I disagree with @wolyrobb. You are crazy, but in a very good way. Unless you want to fix it up as a hobby, buy one in good condition. That almost certainly means it will have had some level of restoration. Too much restoration means that the cost wil go up, it’s up to you if you want a truck like that. If you want a driver, just realize it will get the same sort of paint damage you get on your daily driver. Also, look at it yourself before buying it, even if you have to travel to see it. If you still like it, get it inspected by a mechanic you trust. Plan it right, and you can really enjoy YOUR Bronco.

3 Likes

I agree with @jtsanders. This is an old car, not a daily driver. Buy the best you can afford but less than a concours restoration. Something with less than perfect paint but little rust. Sun baked is better than salt encrusted!

2 Likes

i had a 88 f150 w/302 and 5spd. i liked it. pretty close to your bronco spec. i would like a 95 2dr tahoe but a clean one is real hard to find in MN. there are 2 scruffy tahoes for sale on CL now. one looked like it was painted by tom sawyer. with his eyes closed.

1 Like

This is the one I want, 1979, but even in 1:10 scale I can’t do it at this time…lol

2 Likes

fyi the rumors are saying Ford is producing a brand new Bronco design. For 2020 or 2021 I think is what I heard. You might want to wait and jump on that bandwagon, become an early adopter for the new one. But a early 90’s Bronco makes a lot of sense too. The folks above are correct in saying it’s an old vehicle, but I have an early 70’s Ford truck and it’s still going. I drive it frequently. I should mention that a couple months ago it stopped working at the hardware store and required I fix it in the parking lot. As you might expect this was the hottest day of the year!! … lol … but stuff like that, just part of the fun of owning an old truck. There’s a magazine published called “Bronco Driver”. You might want to take a look at that before deciding.

1 Like

Just make sure you give it a long test drive before you buy. Sometimes your idols don’t hold up well in reality…

1 Like

I loved that episode! You are most definitely not crazy. There has been a shift from the '57 Chevy, '63 Vette, '64 Mustang, Chevelle SS type restorations to early SUVs, particularly compact SUVs. Many who want a project car dream of the SUVs they wanted or had in their youth. Check out this story on one man’s International Harvester scout%20brians Scout. Our own Craig Fitzgerald is himself the restorer of a vintage Blazer. You may like his story on killer vintager SUVs.

I had a 1995 XLT with the 5.8L. Best all around vehicle I’ve ever owned. I traded it around 2005. I miss it, and I’m kicking myself after seeing how much they’ve started appreciating in recent years. You can’t get a rust-free, semi-low mileage one for under $10k these days. I got $3k for mine when I traded it in…

1 Like

Thank y’all!! I definitely want a Bronco! Ideally a 1996 Eddie Bauer with the 351 Windsor engine…I’d kill for one in decent shape!

Damn! This is a decent one…drooling has begun

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1FMEU15N3RLA45543