My 97 K1500 wont start. Please help

My hat’s off to missileman.
Chances are that it’ll happen again. One option is to buy one, put it in inventory, and be ready when the time comes. Of course, you have to accept the fact that it might come many miles from home.

Thanks Todd and TSM. I would just get used to starting the truck in “neutral.” Once the neutral position goes you will have to replace the neutral safety switch. I have had luck with “slamming” the vehicle in park and getting the “park” position to work for awhile. I don’t really suggest doing that but if it was my truck that’s what I would do. I don’t know why more people don’t get on board with failing neutral safety switches. I’ve see dozens of bad ones and have only seen 2 or 3 starters that would cause this condition. Your best option is to replace the switch but if the neutral position holds out for as long as the park position…your truck may be in the boneyard long before that happens.

Todd

I’ve replaced many neutral safety switches

Only a handful of times was I able to realign it and fix the customer’s complaint. All the other times realigning it did not solve the customer’s complaint.

Better off just buying a new one