1997 Chevy K1500 Silverado Wasn't Starting and Now Does

Last Wednesday I went to leave the gym in the afternoon and my truck wouldn’t start when I first turned the key. I could hear the fuel pump kick in, and the lights went on, but I didn’t even hear any cranking.

I tried it a few times, and it started. I drove a couple miles home and turned it off and tried not to worry about it.

The next morning I went to start it again, and it wouldn’t start and didn’t crank, but again the lights came on and I could hear the fuel pump.

Several hours later I tried it again, and after a few key tries, the truck started right up.

I drove over to my mechanic, but he said he couldn’t check it out for almost a week. He said it was possibly something to do with the ignition switch but he will have to look.

I kept it running for a while, then was able to start it right up and use it a few more times that day.

I went away for the weekend in my girlfriend’s car, and this morning, now 5 days after the original issue, my truck started right up, I drove it a few times today.

I do have an appointment with my mechanic this Wednesday. I am wondering what I should do if he can’t find any problems. I don’t want to get stuck far from home with my truck not starting.

Could it have been a battery that had been low on charge? That kind of makes sense to me, since it seems like it’s worked ever since the time that I kept it running for a longer period of time…enough for the alternator to do its job.

For context, my battery did run low a few months back after leaving my lights on, and I needed a jump that took a while.

Thank you to anyone who has read this far!

There are lots of possibilities for intermittent no-crank. IMO the best first test is the standard battery/charging system test, next is to measure the voltage at the starter motor’s “s” terminal when the key is in the “start” position. Probe between terminal and starter motor case. Suggest to not replace any questionable parts until both test results are known.

Thank you! That’s super helpful.

The next time the truck won’t start, let the ignition switch return to the on position, step on the brake pedal and shift the transmission into neutral

If the truck starts, it points to a problem with the park/neutral safety switch.

Tester

1 Like

Thank you. The challenge is that the truck has started every single time I’ve tried it since the initial problems. I sometimes almost wish it wouldn’t start so I could diagnose the problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

welcome to the world of a diagnosing mechanic :laughing: :grin:

1 Like