My 2006 Saab 9-3 is slow to accelerate after I come to a stop

I have a 2006 Saab 9-3. Whenever I come to a stop and press the accelerator it is slow to accelerate. The check engine light is on, too. The rpm’s do not rev up and the car slowly creeps by then eventually will start to get going. I took it in to the mechanic and they told me I need a new throttle body which they just put in. The car worked when I drove it home. Then after a couple of days it is doing the same thing. Anyone have any clue as to what the problem might be? Thanks for the help.

HMM, I was ready to point to the Turbo UNTILL you said it ran fine for a few days after the new TB was installed… Now I am lost again. Did the check engine light come back on after the TB was installed?? Do you know what the code was??

The check engine light did come back on. I am not sure what the code was. I am taking it to the machanic Monday, but they were suppose to fix this problem last time and didn’t.

Yeah with out the code we cant be of much help… It could be that the TB installed was just bad… It does happen, or it can be something totally different. Let us know what happens on monday, but I would not drive the car much at this point.

Your SAAB is in “limp home mode”, which is why the power is down and it’s running sluggish. There is a spring on the throttle body that can be reset to put the car back into “normal” mode. However, something else (direct ignition cartridge, crank sensor etc.) is causing a misfire and putting the car into limp home mode. Unfortunately, this means that you probably did not need the new throttle body (ouch!). Classic case of throwing parts at a problem without doing proper diagnostics. I’d go back to the shop and have them look a bit further - and give you a credit for the $900 they charged you for the throttle body :). Good luck!

Did you get this problem fixed? I have the exact same issue with my saab 9-3.

Did any of you get this problem fixed? My car is acting exactly the same way. At first it was the Throttle Sensor, replaced it and was fine for a year. Then the mechanic was saying probably it’s the dirty throttle and he recalibrated the acceleration. Not working. The code then said problem in throttle circuit 1 to circuit 2. My mechanic was saying maybe it’s the wiring…please help…thanks…

My 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo is doing exactly that. First it was the turbo. After changing out the turbo it ran great for 5 miles. Then at take off it was very slow to gain speed until about 20 mph. Code lights suggested mass air flow sensor and evap leak major. IT was suggested to me that I check the mass air flow and then the house between to ensure there are no leaks. He also suggested that the water cooler under the car be removed and cleaned. … Took it to a saab mechanic and he, like many of these guys are simply remove and replace parts until it works…

This is exactly what my 2006 saab 9-3 2.0 turbo is doing. Runs good 10 minutes and after stopping it is slow to accelerate and then is ok. Mine is not the turbo, mass flow shows good,…did you get yours resolved and if so, what was it.

@twofido26 … you say yours is a turbo, then later say it isn’t. Which is it? If your Saab is a turbo, this sounds like a turbo-control problem of some sort. If there’s no diagnostic codes then the only other option is to make an educated guess & start replacing stuff sometimes. Either that or live w/it. If I had this problem first thing I’d want is for an experienced SAAB mechanic to make a visual inspection. There may be something obvious that a trained eye would spot quickly.

This is a dated thread btw. If you want to get the most replies to your problem here, suggest to repost as a new thread. Surf back to the maintenance/repairs page and click on “new topic”.

It is a turbo and after reading the threads you need to catch up. There are several saabs sitting around having this issue…and it aint the turbo and it aint the mass f. s

So by that you mean you suspect the problem causing your symptom isn’t caused by a turbo malfunction, not that your Saab isn’t a turbo? A little unclear there, but understand now. So how to you explain that it ran great for 5 miles after a turbo replacement, then the same problem came back? Wouldn’t that argue in favor of a continuing turbo-involved problem of some kind?

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue with my Saab 9-3. On an upward incline, the car slows down until I reach a flat surface again. It is temperamental but when it throws a tantrum, it doesn’t feel safe to drive because it powers down.

I thought it might be the turbo but I want to be conservative before I spend $2000 and find out it’s not the turbo . I noticed that when I step on the gas, the hose compresses and it shouldn’t . I wonder if it’s the waste gate??? help!

What hose compresses? The intake hose between the turbo and the throttle body? If it does, yeah, that seems like a bad turbo. Remove the hose and reach in a turn the turbo impeller wheel with a finger. It should turn very freely.

A wastegate failure would either have tons of power (stuck shut) or none (stuck open) but there wouldn’t be any suction to collapse the intake hose. So, no, I don’t think it is a wastegate.

Post back with what you find and maybe we can help some more.

What hose compresses? The intake hose between the turbo and the throttle body? If it does, yeah, that seems like a bad turbo. Remove the hose and reach in a turn the turbo impeller wheel with a finger. It should turn very freely.

A wastegate failure would either have tons of power (stuck shut) or none (stuck open) but there wouldn’t be any suction to collapse the intake hose. So, no, I don’t think it is a wastegate.

Post back with what you find and maybe we can help some more.
[/quote]

Thanks ! This hose IMG_3395|375x500

This hose . Thanks ! ( I’m new here so I think I’ve been duplicating my replies .)

That is the hose from the throttle body to the turbocharger intercooler in the front of the car. That tube should not collapse. You have a restriction between the air intake and the engine. Pull out the air filter, first and see how clogged it is. If it isn’t, you need to follow the big hose down to the turbocharger and remove the hose for the turbo’s inlet. Spin the impeller with a finger, if it spins freely, I’d guess the intercooler is clogged. If it doesn’t spin freely, you need a new turbo.

1 Like

I’ll do that and will update you with my findings . Thanks!

Intercooler … in case you are wondering what that part is for, when the turbo blades turn they force extra air into the engine, but as an unwanted byproduct that air gets heated, which is no good. The intercooler cools it off first, before allowing it into the engine air intake at the throttle body.

2 Likes

Thanks ! I’ll check it all out this weekend and will post an update . Glad I didn’t have to go through the trouble of duking it out with the Saab repair guy , as there is no error code and i would have had to pay a hefty diagnostic bill .