More Snake oil?

You stupid people, I own a business and repair carburetors every day and tell people several times a day to use these 2 products because they make a difference and you the gall to flag me. I withdrawing my +30 years of experience in this forum due to the pxxxing contest you constantly try to draw me into

Thank youā€¦

4 Likes

If you just come over here to insult us, while patting yourself on the back, then you shouldnā€™t be here in the first place

3 Likes

Donā€™t let the door hit youā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m curious about which brands of gas are sold in your neck of the woods.
Can you list at least a few of them for us?

1 Like

What is likely being done in Wisconsin is to address the fact that there are in excess of 20 different blends (some report in excess of 45) of gasoline that was driven by both state and federal regulation. I seriously doubt the removal of 6 blends for the Wisconsin market is going to have any affect on pollution in Wisconsin at all.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/bureaucratic-gas/article/634424

People come here with different tolerances for discourse. It can be a little offensive to get flagged for an honest opinion. Just think we need to be a little more tolerant.

I see no reason to be tolerant of and accommodating to guys that storm in here guns blazing, calling us idiots while patting themselves on the back

5 Likes

@CarbTech has been a member here for about a year and a half. Based on my read of the other posts, heā€™s not a spammer. Did he get angry and respond in a way that was coarser than the discussion guidelines permit? Yes, but this isnā€™t necessarily spam.

deleted

:cookie:

Carbtech rebuilds carburetors every day? Small engine repair shop maybe? The last car I had with a carb was an 81.

Recommending products and building carbs for 30 years might make you a successful business owner, but it doesnā€™t isolate you from human faults and fallacies, such as confirmation bias. It doesnā€™t make you an expert in chemistry or mechanical engineering.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a saying in science that goes ā€œextraordinary claims require extraordinary proofā€. I expect most folks here would entertain the idea that a certain branded commercial prophylactic gas or oil additive product is beneficial to engine performance and longevity, as long as there was plenty of properly done unbiased scientific studies that backed up the claims.

Thereā€™s definitely still a market for carb repair and rebuilding expertise. Carbā€™s still sit atop many automobile engines even today.

True, but my gut tells me that Carbtech sells those magic elixirs that he tells people several times a day to use regularly.

The latest daily driver Iā€™m aware of that still was carbureted was a 1989. About that time everything went to (or had already gone to) throttle body injection or multiport injection. That was about 29 years ago. Most of the vehicles that age or older are pretty much recycled by now. Except for a few select spots in the country where old vehicles are still popular.

Small engines and motorcycles would be the exception.

By the way, Carbtech, you should know that many of the ā€œstupid peopleā€ this forum is loaded with are very experienced mechanics, technicians, engineers, and even an occasional passing chemist.

You should also know that name calling is a sign of intellectual bankruptcy. Those with intellect conduct debates based on the technical aspects of the issue at hand. Those with limited intellect quickly run out of technical arguments and resort to name calling.

You should avoid calling people ā€œstupidā€. It reflects poorly on you.

Yeah now that I think of it, Iā€™m trying to remember the last carburated cars I had. 74 Olds, 73 Lincoln, 67 Buick, 68 Dodge, and those were the newest I can remember.

ā€œManyā€ is relative

I believe the last carbureted vehicle sold in the USA was the Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 1990 model year, give or take a year.

I recall working on a friendā€™s truck years ago. He had a very base model, 2WD 1992 Isuzu pickup with a carb.

That reminds me, tomorrow I have to rebuild a Rochester Dualjet that someone installed on an 83 Chevy pickup. Blech.

1 Like

What condition is this 1983 Chevy pickup truck in . . . ?!

In your opinion, is the truck worthy of a carb rebuild?

Absolutely not. But once you go down the rabbit holeā€¦

Truck started life as a very basic Custom Deluxe. 4.3 V6, three on the tree, you get the idea. Recently the truck was ā€œconvertedā€ to a V8 of unknown origins, to which someone bolted an old Edelbrock 2 barrel intake and topped it off with a Dualjet from a 79 Caprice. The ā€œconversionā€ was the type that left the truck with open header exhaust, radiator held in with zip ties, mangled wiring and vacuum hoses, etcā€¦ It started and ran, thatā€™s all.

Along comes a 17 year old looking for his first car and decides that this would be a fun project. After all, it just needs a few odds and ends sorted out and it will be a fine truck. Truck gets towed in to get it to the point that it can driveā€“no one told the poor kid it needed brakes, the wipers didnā€™t work, and that it needed more than just a minor tune-up. When we get it to that point, he has to have his grandma come drive the truck home. He canā€™t drive a manual, much less a 3 on the tree with a worn out shift collar.

So after a couple of weeks itā€™s running poorly because the float is sinking or loaded with garbage sucked up from whatever is in the gas tank. More money dumped down the drainā€¦

My first motorcycle, bought in 2005, was carburated. Now I own the same model made in 2015, and I love how fuel injection means I can just start it and go, no matter how chilly it is outside. I only had to use the choke on the carburated model in cold weather, but it annoyed me to have to burn such a rich air/fuel mixture to warm it up when the temperature dipped below 70.