More Snake oil?

Seafoam really work? Does it clean the fuel system if added to gas tank. It is probably the only additive that people really seem to think works. I was going to dump in 2oz. Per gallon

No, try this instead. https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-epr-engine-performance-restoration/

Really . . . ?

“everybody” really seems to think the other additives also work

just saying

can’t hurt, but don’t expect miracles

Exactly what problem are you trying to resolve, if I may ask?

misfiring, hesitation, poor fuel economy, etc. . . . ?

1 Like

It works to an extent. The usual recommendation is 1/3 of a can each in the tank, the oil, and the throttle body. Don’t leave it in the oil if you follow that - put it in, drive for 10 minutes or so, then change the oil.

But like @db4690 said, don’t expect miracles.

Seafoam is a detergent booster, so far as I know. It has a pretty good reputation and it seems to help with things like sticky injectors or carburetors. Using more than the recommended dose doesn’t do much, so use it as directed. You know if the company that sells it could convince you that more is better, they would, because then they could sell more.

Copy. Thanks guys

Agree with shadowfax. I’ve used it a couple times and it has a good reputation around here. Smokes like crazy though if used as a throttle body cleaner directly so let the fire department know (kidding). Does seem to clean things up but again not a miracle.

I use sea foam in my 2 cycle outboard gas religiously, my car rarely, for no good reason except possible ideosynrictiy credits from my car. Techron has been another additive strongly recommended on this board.

I can’t agree with you more

In fact, “smokes like crazy” is a bit of an understatement

People will think your car is on fire

Your neighbors will hate you

The stuff you pour in the gas tank makes makes it smoke?

Why not just always use fuel that meets the "TOP TIER’ standards, google top tier for a list of gasoline companies and explanations.

1 Like

Because some of us buy used cars and have no control over what the previous owner did. I used Seafoam when I bought an old truck with almost 200,000 miles on it. It was dieseling like crazy every time I’d shut it down. Seafoam in the tank and shot down the carb cured it.

1 Like

No

The seafoam which Bing mentioned smokes like crazy, that’s the one I’m talking about

That one gets sucked in through the intake manifold

You’re talking about the stuff that goes into the fuel tank

The company has several different products

I recently decided that the “TOP TIER” listings were for real and not a marketing gimmick. Although I don’t know why all manufacturers don’t jump on that bandwagon.

However, it’s not always convenient to gas up at one of those stations.

I wonder if a periodic dose of Techron would be equivalent ?? And allow me to buy gas at convenient locations?

When sprayed into the throttle body, not when in the tank.

Guess I’m fortunate, a Top Tier certified station is close by, price is same as unrated generic gas, plus they sell alcohol free for my lawnmower and outboard.

Yes you are lucky, though WI has decided we don’t need no reformulate gas, due to Ill pollution.

Republican legislators are circulating a bill aimed at ending the federal requirement to use reformulated gas in six southeastern Wisconsin.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/wisconsin/articles/2017-09-21/gop-lawmakers-take-aim-at-reformulated-gas

We used to be known for good schools, good roads, and ecological sanity, now the opposite is true.

The only reference a quick search turned up is:
Reformulated gas is gasoline that has an extra oxygenate content and is designed to reduce volatile organic compounds and knocks nitrogen oxide emissions when combusted.

Another reference lists states that are required to use this.
MA: entire state
NH: Boston-Lawrence- Worcester
(Which is very strange as these are cities in MA, not NH)

My home state

What’s 'reformulated? With or without ethanol? In Colorado (where I just
left) if is a true challenge to find ethanol free gasoline

Best definition of reformulated gas, granted only 1 search.

Oxygenate blending adds oxygen-bearing compounds such as MTBE, ETBE, ethanol, and biobutanol. The presence of these oxygenates reduces the amount of carbon monoxide and unburned fuel in the exhaust gas. In many areas throughout the US, oxygenate blending is mandated by EPA regulations to reduce smog and other airborne pollutants. For example, in Southern California, fuel must contain 2% oxygen by weight, resulting in a mixture of 5.6% ethanol in gasoline. The resulting fuel is often known as reformulated gasoline (RFG) or oxygenated gasoline, or in the case of California, California reformulated gasoline. The federal requirement that RFG contain oxygen was dropped on 6 May 2006 because the industry had developed VOC-controlled RFG that did not need additional oxygen.[45]