More ev stations

I was there last week it went fairly fast but staffing is a problem and helps to know three languages for ordering, paying, and pick up. With my hot cakes though, the kid shorted me silverware, syrup, and butter. No big deal, I was going home anyway but maybe he thought you roll them up like a taco. I dunno. You brought food up but I was in a car anyway.

You two live fairly close, same parking lot with the EVgo fast charging station?

Drive through. Don’t need no stinking charger.

Lots of WaWas in central Florida.

I didn’t realize that they had expanded beyond PA & NJ–where they have a cult-like following.

1 Like

WaWas seem to have a loyal following in SW Florida.

RaceTrac hss more and larger stores and also seems to also have a bit of the cult-like following.

It is a bit like my hometown pizza preferences - Marion’s or Cassano’s. Or like Cincinnatti’s chili battle - Goldstar or Skyline

Or my convenience store preference—Cumberland Farms, but I don’t buy their gas. Gas might be fine, but I don’t think it’s TopTier.

It’s not. Nor is the gas from Quick Check or Wawa, the other dominant convenience stores in my neck of the woods. I bought Quick Check gas once, when I had no choice, and my gas mileage–which was always very consistent–took a huge hit. I suspect that their gas contained more ethanol than it was supposed to, but I can’t prove it.

In any event, I don’t buy gas from any of those convenience stores. In addition to their NON Top Tier status, their price per gallon is not even the cheapest for NON Top Tier gas. If I wanted to buy gas that isn’t Top Tier, I could easily find it for a few cents cheaper than the price at convenience stores.

True the TopTier station I go to is often less than many convenience stores. Just go to Cumberland or WaWa for coffee.

My only use of convenience stores is for their restrooms. I bring water and my own coffee with me when I drive, and my home-brewed coffee is a lot better than the stuff that they sell at those stores.

1 Like

They’ve been in MD since at least the 1980s.

But the electrons at the Wawa Tesla Supercharger I used to use are top tier. :smile::person_facepalming:t3:

The Wawa place seems to not like us here in the South very much, the closest one to Nashville is 400ish miles away in Gulf Shores…

But then again, me thinks their store locater may be a bit out dated, these are the only ones showing up in the USA when I put in my zip code… :man_shrugging:

I think race track was my station of choice in Florida more for the location and car wash though. Don’t know that I have ever been to a wa wa.

We need more EV stations in Northern NH during the Solar Eclipse. The lines for the few stations were 12 cars deep.

Our town proudly boasts two. I think the city paid for them in the parking lot of a restaurant. I have never seen them in use yet. I missed the eclipse because it was too cloudy. Had my glasses and everything. Of course there is always more than one way to skin a rabbit. A little queue analysis.

We have those here, literally no one ever charging at them. A couple grocery stores have pulled the chargers out.

The problem is the charge cost, those public chargers are 4x to 5x the cost of charging at home.

Edit: how long before each EV has a charging cable that you pull out to connect to a charging terminal? Those copper charge cables are being stolen faster than catalytic convertors.

1 Like

That’s why I have only done charging in my own garage… so far. But, if I take a trip, I know that I will have to use commercial chargers. My only defense against those commercial charging fees will be my use of the Costco Visa card, which gives a 4% rebate on EV charging–just like it does with gas purchases.

That’s the marginal cost. There is also the cost of having a level 2 charger installed at home for most people. I bought a charging cable that has both level 1 and Level 2 dongles as part of the kit. I only need level 1 capability and my ground fault 120V line is satisfactory. My mobile connector is $250 and the Tesla wall connector is $450 plus a dedicated level 2 line from the circuit breaker to the garage or parking pad. Installation would be about $1500 for my house.

I have no intention of either buying an electric or parking it in the garage due to fire issues. I have 220 though in the garage for the welder on a branch panel. Enough breakers to add another 220 if I ever need it. So the 220 would be cheap but adding a garage sprinkler system would be costly. Not sure if halon would be effective or not but I’ve got a three car garage so big halon canister.

My utility company subsidizes the installation of a level 2 home charger.
You might want to check with your utility to see if they do something similar.