Midsize SUV

I’m 21 years old and looking for a midsize SUV. My ultimate price cap is $8,000. I had initially looked at a Ford Explorer, but being a Ford it didn’t come very highly recommended from one of my friends who is a mechanic. The Toyota 4Runners and Nissan Pathfinders came the most highly recommended.

Ideally the vehicle would have less than 100,000 miles on it.

Anyone have other thoughts on the Ford Explorer, or other midsize SUVs?

You can get a newer Ford with less miles for the same price as an older Toyota or Honda with more miles.
There’s countless numbers of Explorers out there, so finding a shop to service them should be easier than finding a shop to service Toyota or Nissan should they need a special tool(s)

The Toyota 4Runners and Nissan Pathfinders came the most highly recommended.

And for good reason !!! We have several 4 Runners, us included, on our “road” and they very highly regarded as medium tow/off road vehicles as well as comfortable (within reason) trip cars. As long as they are equally maintained to their Ford/Chevy counterparts, I feel they will serve you much better over the long haul. But these are truck based SUVs. If you don’t tow or off road, a car based CRV/Rav4, Highlander etc. are as roomy and could be an option.