Recs for mid-sized trucks and SUVs btwn 2005-2015

Howdy folks,

I wanna get something used that’s relatively easy to maintain and repair, and has a cheap and wide market of parts should they need to be replaced. I can replace smaller stuff like distributors, change oil, sparkplugs, etc. all day. When it comes to bigger repairs like the transmission though, I just don’t have the time, money, or knowhow. Somethin with a transmission that can go beyond 100k miles with relative grace. If you have any recommendations for a mid-sized truck/SUV, throw em down below. I drive urban and country and avg around 250 miles per week for my work and personal life. I just need something with a bit more utility and range than a sedan or hatchback. I’m lookin for some advice, and possibly firsthand experience, of the reliability of the Ford F150, Toyota Tacoma, and Toyota 4Runner between the years of 2005 to 2015. Though, I will take recommendations beyond these cars so long as its within those years and the part market ain’t overwhelmingly expensive. Dodge and Chevy don’t seem that bad. Hell, even some of Honda’s trucks and SUVs are lookin pretty decent (could be my hungry eyes though). My daily is German and has been bleeding me dry these last few years. Its looking like its on the verge of more transmission problems and I can’t see myself spending more money on it in the future, so I’d like to ask y’all’s advice on the aforementioned.

Tacoma or 4 Runner as first choices… neither older than about 2018 if you live where they salt roads. Buy as low miles as you can find and as new as possible

Any 2015 would already have nearly 100K on the odo and either choice should be OK…BUT get a pre-purchase inspection from YOUR mechanic before signing anything.

4 Likes

I know a few people with Honda Ridgelines and they are very happy with them. Your use description doesn’t indicate towing or heavy loads in the bed so the Ridgeline might be a good fit. My daughter has a Pilot and she’s happy with it. Cargo capacity isn’t great but it won’t be with any SUV shy of a full size like a Tahoe or Suburban. We have a Honda Odyssey and it can carry a lot more people and cargo than the Pilot. Another minivan to consider is the Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow and Go seating. All seats fold into the floor quickly and you get a huge cargo area. As @Mustangman said, get a prepurchase inspection for anything you are serious about buying. Make sure you are willing to buy if the report is good since you will pay about $150 for the inspection.

3 Likes

With a mid sized truck/SUV you’ll be lucky to find one that will get 20mpg, most are in the 15 to 17 mpg

At 250 miles a week you’ll be buying lots of fuel.

2 Likes

1st of all Honda doesn’t make a truck, it takes a Pilot and chops the back end off and adds a cute little bed like structure and is a FWD based AWD vehicle… :grin: (let the hate mail begin)

A Toyota sounds like what you are looking for, they have a very long and strong track record (and full frame lol)… But not the best fuel mileage… Get the V6 over the I4, only like a couple MPH difference but much more power…

2 Likes

Which seems to be enough for 90% of what I see ‘real’ pickups hauling around. Which is zilch.

3 Likes

+1
A friend of mine has frequently commented on two of his co-workers who own a Chevy & a GMC pickup for their daily 150 mile roundtrip commute to work. When he has tried to put his dufflebag in the bed of their trucks, they informed him that they don’t allow anything to be put in their truck’s bed.

You both are correct, most of the truck owners now are just posers anyway… Like the lifted Jeeps with 37" mud tires and cleaner then showroom undercarriages, pretty sad but to each there own I guess… I have had plenty of trucks over the years and trust me, I have never been afraid to put anything in the bed, because that is the whole point of having a truck…

2 Likes

The 2017 Ridgeline has a towing capacity if 5000# and a payload capacity of 1500#. The V6 Tacoma has a towing capacity of 6400# and a payload capacity of 1175#. So, the Taco isn’t a truck either?

1 Like

Well, if the OP can find a nice REO SpeedWagon pickup, they were really good.
And, they didn’t have any of those evil electronic features. :wink:

This ad from the '50s is for one of their larger trucks.

1 Like

No sir, no towing here. Space and carry capacity and drive train. I got a hobby that requires small to moderate loads, somewhere around 400 pounds of fairly bulky equipment and maybe a couple of other people. This is back country roads, but typically one or twice every other week. Furthermore, I’ve been moving between places more than the average person the last few years. This habit probably won’t go away until another 5 years once I am working full time and certified, and have a decent income to pay for a home.

Buddy my jetta still has mud on the mirrors from a month ago, let alone the new stuff thats been caked on. I am not driving down wet roads with a front wheel sedan anymore.

1 Like