Miata - girl car?

Sorry for being “anonymous” on the last post - not intentional.

The name change was a move away from girly. Miata sounds effeminate to me. If it had a name like viper, cobra, mustang, corvette,… few would think it is a girly car, but those are already taken. There are probably better names than both Miata and MX-5. I am sure that Mazda did some marketing research with the name, but what was the target market, who did the research and where was the test group?

Nothing against the miata or any of the other current “roadsters,” but I do sorta cringe when I hear that term applied to modern cars. I still prefer this definition:

Roadster is the North American term (spyder in England and a barchetta in Italy) for a 2-seater without a permanent top and without rollup windows (if it has rollup windows it is a cabriolet, not a roadster), and the windshield is bolt on rather than integrated as in modern cars.

I think the only down side to a Miata is the wind beating you over the head on the freeway.
I test drove a new one yesterday and took it out on I-270 in Columbus(the salesman actually had me drive it on there and back since the route we the dealership is right offa that freeway. I dunno if it was just because it was the perfect day for top down driving, but I think I’m probably gonna buy one. Salesman said his girlfriend has a 91 and puts winter tires on it and drives her’s year round.

A few years ago I worked at a company where there was often a Miata in the parking lot with racing stripes and large numbers in several places on the body. I found out a little later that the owners, you guessed it, drive the car during the week and race it (on a racetrack) on the weekends.

People see what they want to.

I bought mine simply because it was a heck of a lot of fun to drive, reliable, and very reasonable for what you get. Then I found out about autocross.

So go find your nearest local SCCA autocross group, go attend, and watch closely the CS and ES run groups, as well as CSP and ESP. ‘S’ is Stock, ‘SP’ is Street Prepared, C class is primarily 1999+ Miatas and E class is primarily 1998 and older Miatas. I bet after you see what fun these guys (and the occasional gal) are having you won’t give a hoot what anybody else thinks.

I LOVE THAT YOU DID THAT! haha. It’s the best way to shut someone up!

haha, the Hello Kitty covers. That’s so funny and cute at the same time lol

I am a 24 years old male and I am buying a Miata. I am originally from Spain and I have never seen a women with a Miata. Perhaps because in Europe we drive shift stick?? And most women can’t! But regardless, cars are cars, they don’t have sex.
FYI everyone! I also have seen women drive Porsche, Audi, Mazerati and Lamborghini. What’s a men or women car nowadays? People drive what they like.

FUCK EVERYONE, I AM BUYING A MIATA

By the way, the Miata on the pic was driven by a woman … no comments