Merry Christmas

Did Santa bring any one a new car? I don’t think I got one, but I am 1200 miles from my driveway. I don’t think I was good enough anyways.

I think that the new car as a Christmas gift syndrome is essentially something created by the marketers of luxury cars. Perhaps a few wealthy individuals have gotten a new car as a Christmas gift, but I have never known anyone who did.

Anyway…Merry Christmas to all!

Only for the wealthy? I’ll never get one then! (Insert frowny pouty face here) LOL

Years ago our son jokingly put a Ferrari Testarossa on his list. We got him one from the model store, but he had to assemble it himself!

When I was 10 years old, my older brother gave me a fully-assembled Edsel model car for Xmas.
At the time, I “got” the joke and I laughed along with him, but my biggest regret is that at some point over the years, I disposed of it!

I think that this yellow and white 2-door Edsel model would probably be worth a few bucks today, if I had retained it.

:frowning:

No…everyone that knows me knows I don’t buy new cars anymore. I would not refuse a new car or truck as a gift but I’ll never put one down on my wish list either. Merry Chrisrmas to all.

New vehicles are cheap. The Grandsons (2 and 4) loved the Hot Wheels “Off-road” monster trucks and Lego truck kits. Boys and trucks; gotta love it.

Merry Christmas to all.

@VDCdriver I never got a car, new or used as a gift, but I definitely remember going to the new Edsel dealer with my father and getting a plastic '58 Edsel model with an inertia motor to propel it across the kitchen floor. I inertiaed it to death. Who knew it might be worth something 54 years later. There’s an identical turquoise one on ebay right now for $80 BIN.

A friend of mine has a pair of very nice real ones, a yellow '58 hardtop, and an extremely rare '60 convertible.

Another guy I used to know had an Edsel with a retractable hardtop. Edsel never made such a car, Someone attached a '58 or '59 Edsel nose onto a '58 Ford. The memory is too old to recall what they did with the rear.

Just think, 50 years from now people will be collecting orphaned Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Saturns.

Anybody seen a Yugo lately?

@VDC Driver; I too regret all the models that I disposed of when I grew out of building them.
I wouldn’t mind taking it up again with my grandson.

I got my first snap together model (about 10 pieces) at about age 8 and my dad noted that I had it together before everyone was done opening their gifts. The next day he brought me home my first real model kit that contained about 100 pieces. It was a great project for the next few nights for the two of us and we both had fun building it. Before long dad was putting up a shelf the length of the basement wall (about 50 feet) for me to display them all.
I was born in 54…so most of the models were 50s &60s cars and trucks. Then came military vehicles, ships, and aircraft. By the time I was in high school that shelf went to two tiers and across three walls.
I had a dresser filled with spare parts. wheels, stock tires, engines…etc…

What a great childhood activity.

And a Merry Christmas to all you motor heads and wrenchers.

Yosemite

Yeah I had a whole fleet of 58, 59, 60. Edsel, fords,Chevys, etc. but my mom threw them all away, as long with baseball cards, etc. oh well.

As to the question about anyone seeing a Yugo lately the answer from me is yes and I see it fairly often over the last 10 or so years.
Someone who lives out in the country about 10 miles west of me has one of them and they flog that poor thing to death.

It’s usually covered in a 1/2" of red dust and moving under its own power whenever I see it. Maybe the owner assumes it will dissolve at the car wash so they just leave it be…

I am the Santa around here, so no new cars, just toys.