Malfunction indicator light warns and overdrive-off (O/D OFF) indication light blinking

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry and recently it has a problem. The dashboard shows a warning of “malfunction indicator lamp” on the tachometer side & the overdrive-off (O/D OFF) indication light is blinking. The car performance started to change as if I’m driving with overdrive switch off. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Most likely there is an electronic fault in the Transmission Control Module or in one of the sensors that communicates with the TCM. This will not fix itself, and can rapidly lead to much more expensive mechanical problems with the transmission. I suggest that you take the car a.s.a.p. to an independent transmission shop for diagnosis. Ask friends, co-workers, neighbors, & relatives for recommended indy shops.

DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission or any other chain operation unless you want to be told that you need a new/rebuilt transmission–whether you really do or not.

Edited to add:
Based on the metric speedometer, I just realized that you are probably not located in the US, which may make the names of those chain transmission shops unfamiliar to you. But, no matter where you live, an independent transmission expert is probably preferable to a chain operation.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

Thank you very much for the advice VDCdriver. This will help a lot. You are right I am not located in US but I will surely look for an independent transmission expert. Thank you.

Good answer. I am not in the us and I am not going to tell you.

@ VDCdriver it turned to be that the automatic transmission has no enoung fluid on it. After making it on the required level the indication is gone.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that the solution to the problem will consist of merely adding fluid.
Transmission fluid doesn’t evaporate, so the need to add fluid indicates a leak in either the transmission itself, or in a cooling line. The leak needs to be found & fixed if you are going to keep driving the vehicle on a reliable basis.

Also, the blinking Overdrive light IS an indication of problems that do deeper than merely a low fluid level. Either there is an underlying transmission problem in addition to the low fluid level, or running the car for an extended period of time caused damage to the transmission. Either way, this is not as simple a fix as just adding fluid.

You need to take the car to an independent transmission shop for evaluation.

@ VDCdriver it is the information I received from the mechanic. I have cleaned the throttle valve as well as the MAF sensor, fuel filter and spark plug have been replaced by the mechanic, the car stalling has been solved. Now I have another problem. The car is having a grinding/vibrating noise during acceleration. After putting the brake on turns and giving acceleration the car seems loosing its power. I know you can help me with your advice. I need you expert advise on this matter.

After putting on the brakes you have the noise. Sounds as if a brake caliper is sticking.

A common issue that often happens in older cars is the bearing for the belt tensioner can go bad and make all kinds for bad noises. If the noise still occurs while revving the engine and the transmission is in the Park or Neutral position then that might verify that as the trouble.

The bearing has been changed also and same vibration is there.

@knfenimore I will check the brake caliper.