Luxury"ish" Car

The Consumer Reports Used Car Guide might be helpful.

1 Like

Thank you George

1 Like

That’s mostly a sales brochure for Consumer Reports. Rather than buy a subscription, check the public library to see if they have an online subscription. My county public library does and I can read CR online from my home once I log in with my card number and PIN.

1 Like

True enough, link is not the same as the actual Buying Guide. CR used to publish a paperback versions for both their new and used-car buying guides, which were always well-stocked in my area’s local bookstores… But they may have discontinued the paper publication. Good advice to seek out an online version at the public library.

Ideally id like to buy car from one owner who was easy on the car. Rare im sure.

The owner of such a vehicle isn’t likely to offer their prized possession up for sale at any reasonable price. . You’ll get quicker results I expect if you look for a car showing a little distress appearance-wise, needs a good washing, bent fender, cracked glass, etc. Stuff that’s easy to correct in other words. Cars with a lot of miles on the clock are often good finds too, b/c the high mileage lowers the market price, but high mileage often means the car has mostly been driven on the freeway at 65-70 mph, the easiest thing for a car to do. Whichever car you choose, the common advice here is to pay your own mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. It’s quite possible the seller will end up paying the inspection fee by reducing the price based on some niggle the inspector finds. Best of luck.

Those things will cost thousands to repair. I would rather pay more for a low milage, clean vehicle.

3 Likes

George , Mr Lucky does not want repair bills and if the cracked windshield has sensors in it it could easily approach 1000.00 .

Volvo…im.sure nobody wants repair bills but when did i say that?

Would it be better to buy a luxury lease, say a lexus or similar, in the $50-60k range then buy it out and keep it for anothet 10+ years???

Have your considered something with the luxury appointments but isn’t in the Luxury line?

In used vehicles Genesis vehicles offer at discount price everything up through rear seat massagers and domestic manufacturers like Cadillac on resale offer amazing luxury at discount prices.

1 Like

I strongly recommend not doing that. If you can afford a $15-20,000 car, buy one.

1 Like

Bean, that’s good suggestion. How reliable are Genesis?

You can buy a new Lexus RX PHEV for that price. I guess that you mean a high end luxury car like a Lexus LS or GX. Here’s an idea: check out a Cadillac CTS-V. That’ll get your blood pumping.

Those things are stupid fast and fun with the supercharged Corvette engine but also 3-4 times the OP’s used vehicle budget from the 1st post, and 2019 was the last year for them and sticking with the 5-8 yo vehicle statement, 2016-2019 are the only years…

But I like your thinking…

1 Like

Just like all used vehicles - who knows -

2 Likes

In post 30 @mstrlucky74 asked about buying a car that costs $50,000-$60,000. I responded to that post and not the original.

Never mind, I think you missed my point and it is not worth explaining it… lol

Genesis has been quite reliable.

1 Like

I’d suggest you look at a Lexus NX or Acura RDX which are luxury versions of the Toyota Rav4 and Honda CRV as a lease, either would be a good long term vehicle.