Lubricating Bushings

My 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid with ~16000 miles on it started creaking in the rear of the vehicle. It was more pronounced when I had about 100 pounds of salt bags in the back. I took it into the dealership and they told me they had to lubricate the bushings, which seems to have fixed the problem as it is no longer creaking.

My question is what would have caused the need for the bushings to need lubrication and whether this may be a chronic problem in the future.

What bushings did they lube?

Shocks, stabilizer bar,…?

Back when I worked in a new car dealership, when a vehicle with squeaky rear leaf springs or bushings came in, the solution recommended by the local factory rep was to squirt kerosene into it till the squeak stopped.

I remember asking what happens if it becomes a chronic problem - and being told “don’t worry about it”.

I really don’t know. They weren’t specific and my knowledge of the suspension isn’t good enough to know to ask. I could always call them back.

The below “don’t worry about it” response sounds like something a dealership would say to keep the expensive repair until after the warranty expires. That’s why I’m trying to nail down the cause. I’m not having any of that kind of games.

Just got off the phone. Stabilizer bar bushing.

Correct information is everything eh?

Now that we know which bushings were lubed, our resident techs can offer their professional opinions.

Always best to get the info from someone who actually works with this stuff for a living.

Now, I’m not a tech but it is my belief that dried rubber bushings are a direct result of age or exposure to the elements and that they tend to crack when dry, hence the noise.

BUT, your vehicle is brand NEW!

I’m wondering if the bushings are rubber. NEW urethane bushings squeak. One reason why many car manufacturers don’t use them.

The fact that my car was manufactured all of six months ago is exactly why I’m concerned about something like this.

The roads in Michigan are notorious (and deservedly so) for being downright abusive to vehicles. Just last week, 16 sub-compacts, 3 sedans and 1 semi disappeared into pot holes on I-96. Search crews are still working to attempt to locate the missing vehicles in the ravines.

Humor aside, it had occurred to me that this might have been due to damage from road conditions. Had that been the case, I would have expected something more involved than lubrication.