Lubricating a Buick LeSabre door hinge

I have a 2004 Buick LeSabre. One front door is beginning to bind. The shop manual says the hinges should be lubricated by applying grease to them. You can apply grease to the exterior surface of the hinges, but that is not effective because the lubricant does not get inside of the hinge where it is needed. The application of a light oil or even a penetrating oil is not effective. Has anyone confronted this problem?

You can try all the penetrating oils you want, what I found releases this “binding” is a short rap with a air hammer using a blunt tip.

I use a Lithium spray grease that will penetrate the hinge joint. However, if the thing is rusty you can start with WD 40 sprayed on liberally and then carefully move the door back and forth. After that works, I would clean it up, and use the Lithuium grease sprayed on.

For extreme cases use Liquid Wrench, a strong pentrating oil that eats rust.

Al, Here’s Another Thing To Consider.

Do the hinge oiling things suggested.

Cars of this body style have a black plastic “check rod” near the hinges, the gizmo that holds the door open in a couple of different positions. One end attaches to the hinge pillar and the other end attaches inside the door. These start to bind after a couple of years. Without closing the door all the way, put a finger or two on that check rod and move the door a little and you may feel it vibrate or jump a little right when you hear the binding.

I use a little white lithium grease on mine, even spraying just a little into the door along the rod, using the straw provided. I do top and bottom. You might have to slide a little plastic cover off or out of the way first and put it back afterwards. Flap the door open and closed several times to work the lube into place.

Try that. Let us know what happens.

CSA

I disconnected the “check rod” so that the hinges would be the only mechanisms being used. The door still binds, so the problem is the hinges. Originally there was no external grease on any of the door hinges so the only factory applied lubrication had to be inside the hinges. Three of the doors do not bind, just the driverside door has started to bind. I have tried WD40, Liquid Wrench, a lock lubricant, and light machine oil. Nothing has been able to penetrate into the hinge mechanism. Thanks for your interest.

Originally there was no external grease on any of the door hinges so the only factory applied lubrication had to be inside the hinges. Three of the doors do not bind, just the driverside door has started to bind. I have tried WD40, Liquid Wrench, a lock lubricant, and light machine oil. Nothing has been able to penetrate into the hinge mechanism. Thanks for your interest.

Get they body shop to “rap” it with the air hammer, It works.