Low Profile Ratchet and Socket Recommendations

I was able to successfully lower the pan on the transmission by jacking up the transmission enough to get a socket wrench in there between the subframe and transmission oil pan. I could not get the 18 mm overall length Wera socket and a regular 11 mm box end wrench in there to hold the socket. So it seems to be less than this. A smaller tool doesn’t seem to exist though. I would like to speed up the process for next time and allow for it to be done easier. But it seems like a tool does not exist to allow me to remove all the bolts without jacking up the transmission?

Toyota doesn’t provide any written recommendations on how often I should drain the ATF and replace the filter on my 2005 Camry. So I guess I should just do it every 30,000 to 50,000 miles.

1 Like

No experience on that car, but jacking up the transmission a little is probably not much of a job. Your shop manual likely explains the correct procedue, something like loosen the bolts on certain mounts, big block of wood under trans, jack it up w/floor jack, watch carefully no wires, hoses etc are interfering. Sounds like you only need to jack it less than an inch. Jacking up the engine on my Corolla 3 to 4 inches is required to replace the water pump or timing belt, which are routine maintenance jobs.

I have no issue with removing the bolt. But I figured I would post here, if anyone finds this thread later, that I found a even shorter 10 mm socket, shorter than Snap On

Wera 05003690001 - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 18.0 mm in overall length, 1/4" drive and external hexagonal drive
Snap On RFSM10 - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 17.3 mm in overall length, 1/4" drive
Boxo SK2062-10P - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 17 mm in overall length, 1/4" drive and external hexagonal drive

Although I will note that it’s not specified to 1 significant decimal digits. So it might be 17.0 mm but can’t know for sure.

An alternative is this type of “Extended Box End” wrench? I think that’s what you would call this type of wrench? Anyone have this type of wrench?

Apparently, Harbor Freight Icon, Platinum, Matco, Kabo, Ez-Red
I couldn’t find any dimensions on this wrench specified from any manufacturer. They look like they all come from the same shop and the companies just stamp their name on them. But I did find this picture. Looks like they are about 1/2".

I’ve also found metal ones online from Capri Tools and Snap On

which is either 1/4" or .29 inch in head length at the box end. These wrenches might be even better than a 10 mm socket for getting into tight spaces as the overall length at the box end is likely less than the length of any socket we can find. Although I couldn’t any data on the wall thickness of the box end. Might be an issue.

If access is a problem, wouldn’t an ordinary combo wrench be a good choice to get the bolt rotating? If loose, then didn’t want to continue by hand, a combo wrench with a built-in ratchet mechanism seems like it would do a pretty good job. There’s one job on my truck where access is a problem, removing the fan blade. Not much room between fan blade and radiator. I’ve always used a combo wrench and patience. Next time I do that job (usually to replace water pump), I think I’ll buy a set of ratcheting wrenches, seems like it would make the process easier and faster. Don’t really see the need for the extended box wrench idea.

On my diesel there were one or two injectors that were hard to get to. The mechanic said he used two swivel joints and an extension. That’s why the have so many tools.

I used a swivel arrangement w/a ratchet/socket to remove spark plugs on my Rabbit, part of tune-up. One time the swivel came apart while removing a plug. Looked and looked, couldn’t find the little ball bearing part of the swivel to repair it. Until I looked inside the the throttle bore, there it was!

Heh heh. Lawn mower again. A pulley came apart and putting on my old one while I ordered a new one, I got the belt guide misaligned and smoked the belt on a short test run. Of course it’s about a two hour job putting the belt on but in the process I found three little ball bearings laying on the floor. Trying to figure out where they came from it took off the last a very difficult pulley to check if it was coming apart. Two hour job but it was fine. About three days later I discovered my scissor Jack that I used was coming loose an still had a few of the identical bearings left. Sheesh. But at least I found the source. $30 belt and $60 pulley and probably a $20 junk Jack.

1 Like

Somebody, somewhere seems to like to punish diy’ers … lol … Good story!

Wera 05003690001 - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 18.0 mm in overall length, 1/4" drive and external hexagonal drive
Snap On RFSM10 - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 17.3 mm in overall length, 1/4" drive
Boxo SK2062-10P - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 17 mm in overall length, 1/4" drive and external hexagonal drive
Ko-Ken 150.14H-10 - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 17 mm in length, external hex drive
Ko-Ken 2400MZ-10 - 10 mm Socket Wrench, 15 mm in length, 1/4" drive

Found two more sockets that are smaller than Snap-On, at least for 10 mm. 2400MZ-10 is only 15 mm in length, to bad that it’s not external hex driven though, and that the external hex driven is actually longer at 17 mm.

Looks like Ko-Ken is also pretty good for low profile sockets, but Boxo is smaller in overall length for sizes greater than 14 mm than the Ko-Ken 3400 MZ series.

Your still going on about this crap? Give it a break.

2 Likes