Interesting and useful tool

I bought this wrench and another bigger one like it at Big Lots 30 years ago. It has been one of my favorite tools.

It enables me to apply a lot of torque to a nut or bolt without the need to get out a socket set or find the box-end that is the size of the nut, which I might not have anyway because my biggest regular wrench is only 15mm. It gives a good feel to be able to lock it on cleanly so that the nut is protected from rounding. It adds a layer of stability, which helps leverage. I recently clamped it on brake line flare fittings and it was able to loosen the connections very easily. I use it most often on bicycles and I also particularly like using it on oil pan drain plugs.

Stanley has a similar one now, and I plan to get it soon.

If someone has that Stanley locking crescent-type wrench or another favorite tool, especially an unusual one, please post the picture if you can and describe how the tool has helped on projects.

I had two offset box end wrenchs, craftsman, one end was 1/2 the other was 9/16. they were my favorite wrenches.

my son lost both of them…

I had a little stubby 1/4" ratchet with an articulating handle that I really liked that I loaned to my daughter some years ago… thinking I could replace it of she didn’t return it… and she didn’t and I was never able to find another like it.

It seems those stories are how it always goes!

I would take the time to find the correct 6 point socket.

Many times that’d mean buying a new one since mine are lost so often. And they can still slip off a nut. And, a six point socket won’t fit on something that has no end nearby to slip it over. Not all of us on here do repair except on our own stuff, too.

I haven t lost a tool since my son movedout

It looks like a cool tool, logic and engineering collaborate! @wesw I seem to loose tools every time I go to look for one, no kids involved, oh yeah right where I left it, where was that I do not know, last place I found it I suppose

I had a teacher that would not let us use adjustable wrenches. He said they have no place in automotive. He was also a former Snap on sales man.

Wesw, I could lose my head if it weren’t attached.

Barkeydog, it was a step up from using visegrips on bicycle wheel nuts!

Nbpt100 he probably never knew about that locking crescent. It’s taken thirty years, and something like it just finally came out again, I’ve been looking, unless I missed it somewhere. Maybe the patent on the original (patent # visible in the picture for the very curious types here on the forum) was holding it back. I fergit how long patents are for on something like that.

ndemb, I think he knew of almost every tool imaginable. Keep in mind he was a tool sales man for many years and was in 100 different shops every month. It was more ideological than anything else.

Thanks Nbpt100

That locking crescent looks like a great toolbox addition, but I’ll take box ends, open ends, and six and twelve point sockets any day. IMHO nothing beats a full set of each along with good sets of deep sockets. Ratcheting box ends are invaluable too. I also have full sets of crow’s feet, but I confess that I have never used one.

In truth, it’s good to have multiple sets of everything. When I drop that 11mm deep socket and it rolls under the car (and I occasionally do and it always does), it’s nice to have another handy. Besides, I’ve had to modify a tool on occasion, and it’s nice to have an extra one to modify.

By the way, nbpt, I agree with your teacher; a crescent wrench has no place in a student’s tool box. Granted, it comes with the “standard tool kit” that every new automotive student must buy, but grabbing it is a terrible habit to get into and should be avoided.

A few oddballs. (I added the 1/4" stubby to make TSM jealous.)

TS Mountainbike, I seem to recall once pounding a one-size-too small socket onto a rusted nut that had rounded. Maybe one of those sockets that grips the flat surfaces of the head or nut would have helped then, or maybe the locking cresecent-type wrench, which I don’t think I had found yet back then at that time. I’ve heard people mention that one can never have too many tools, which seems like something I could have said, too.

A few oddballs. (I added the 1/4" stubby to make TSM jealous.)

That helped me identify that last one. I wonder if that top one feels a bit neglected these days with the trend toward doing away of distributors.

LOL, d$%#, that’s the one!

Ndemb, I’ve on occasion had to grind the end of a socket flat to get a bite on an old rounded nut. And pound it too.

I would agree that there’s no such thing as too many tools. So, if I see something I don’t have, I buy it. Now if I could only remember that I have them and where they are when the need arrives…

nothing annoys me like a tool not being where I can find it.

when I fabricated steel I had a layout and fitting tool box I made with 8 inch castors and doors that swung open and a flat top and shelf under and it bristled with holders and racks that I custom made to hold all my tools and squares and clamps and markers and shields and everything

I probably had about a hundred different things that were accessible when I opened the doors.

I took about 5 minutes every morning to unlock and open it up right, after that I could close my eyes and have anyone pick a tool and I could put my hand on it without even thinking.

I was good at my job…

20 years ago I just had my original $50 craftsman carry around tool box it was filled with the original tools plus many additions. It was to stuffed and heavy so I added a small canvas tool bag. With TSM lamenting the loss of his 1/4" drive flexible stubby ratchet I dug my set of 3 that added 3/8" and 1/2" out of the closet so I could post a source of replacement. Guess which one was missing? On a whim I checked my old tool box and there it was! The set of 3 is Harbor Freight Pittsburg brand which in my limited experience with HF seems to be decent quality. The price sticker was still on the package. $12.99. In the past if I needed a tool and couldn’t find it I would buy another one. Now my next door neighbor is a master mechanic and has at least 2 of every tool you could think of. He even has a hydraulic lift. The best part is if I ask to borrow a tool he will usually volunteer to do the work.