From the title post above, you can see that I have multiple issues with the car, or just maybe one causing all the symptoms.
First, I am an American living in Norway and getting anything done around here costs an arm, a leg, and an extra pinky so I am going at this the maker way and trouble shooting my problems with the car.
The initial problem is this.
When the car starts, it starts up fine and has normal power. After driving for a few minutes, the car starts exhibiting the following symptoms.
- If I step on the gas pedal hard and hold it, it sounds as if the car is drowning, the car loses power, then may back fire, then instantly, it regains power and accelerates. This is by keeping the pedal down.
- If I feather the pedal, it doesn’t lose power and accelerates decently but as soon as I begin to go up hill, it bogs down and does the drowning noise again.
- I created a video showing this issue for my friend Ken who typically helps with these things.
Here is the link
In the video, the car is idling fine but when I throttle it, it begins to drown, then just picks up right away for no apparent reason.
- Just two days ago, the car will not start after it’s been running for a while. If I let it sit, it starts up again.
Ideas of what it could be.
- Could my catalytic converter be bad and therefore it somehow creates back pressure after the car warms up?
- Would it be a fuel injection problem? I put fuel injection cleaner in the tank and it seemed to run a little better.
Any help is appreciated.