Low humming sound

Okay, So i just bought a 2003 Honda Accord Lx with about 110,000 miles on it. I love the car except one thing. Whenever I am stopped at a red light, or stopped anywhere, while I’m in drive, the car makes an overwhelming, extremely low humming sound. It’s so loud I can’t tell where it’s coming from. The second I take my foot off the brake, it stops. Also, sometimes, when I have the heat or air on, and I switch it off, it stops for a little while.

Is this something I can fix or is it just an acoustic anomaly? I’m 23 and have a long time before that range of my hearing goes away, or at least I hope : Help!

Have the brakes checked. I suspect there is a vacuum leak. If I am right, you don’t want to put it off. Loosing your brakes can ruin your whole day.

CHeck for a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter.

Okay, So Has This Car Had The Transmission Recall (Inspection / Repair / Replacement) Performed On It ?

If you’re not sure then check with a Honda dealer.

CSA

Can You Feel Vibration With The Noise ?

Honda has a Technical Service Bulletin (all automatic 03 and some 04 Accords) that helps their technicians deal with customer complaints for vibration in Drive or Reverse that can be worse in cold weather or under load, such as A/C on.

The fix (which was covered during the warranty period) is for you to pay Honda to install a new front engine mount (revised part ?) and loosen and retorque all engine mounting bolts and possibly install a special Honda “engine smoothing kit” (4 radiator mounts, front bumper mass, 4 bolts), if necessary.

Honda has the 4 page bulletin (complete with color photos & arrows) that contains part numbers and detailed instructions for their technicians and they can check it out and give you a guesstimate.

Is it possible it has to do with an unbalanced engine fan? It seems to start and stop at times when I (who possess little automotive knowledge) would thing the engine fan probably kicks in.

Also are any of these things things that I can check before I take it to the mechanic?