Low beams burning out

headlights

I am having a problem with headlights going out. My first low beam lights lasted 7 years, and now the low beams only last 3-4 months. Have tried three repair places, and all go out, and I am now changing the bulbs myself. There appears to be moisture in the lamp areas, but the bulb is behind lenses.

2 years ago, when they first went out, I had several front and rear lights go out within 1 week. After changing these lights, they all have lasted except the low beams.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Old Aurora 01 3.5

Fingerprints on the headlight bulbs will lead to premature failure. You’re not touching the bulbs with your fingers are you?

I’d look for corrosion in the bulb sockets/connectors, and check where the wiring grounds to the chassis.

If there’s moisture inside the headlight housing it could be part of the problem. Perhaps you could dry the headlights with a hair dryer or some other similar device.

Thanks for the reply.
I do not know about the others, but I did not touch the bulb. I even made sure that the NAPA person did not touch the bulb. It has been -20 to 20 degrees for the last few days. when it warms up, I will try the hairdryer idea. Will this extra heat on the plastic effect it on these cold days?

I’d wait until the temperature is above freezing. It’s hard to get moisture out of the headlight assembly, but it’s worth a try. I’ve had to remove headlight assemblies in the past to dry them out. The moisture could be corroding the connections.

You could drill a hole in bottom of the lens housing to drain the water.
Since the air expands and contracts in the lens volume, I don’t think you can seal that volume after it drys out: but, it might work if you put a piece of tape over the drilled hole. When the air expands, it will push out of the lens housing. When it cools, the air will contract; thus, the tape over the drilled hole would allow a lower air pressure inside the lens to develop. Now, the question becomes, “Will the air pressure inside the lens become too low?” This could be a science project for your / their kid.