Low beam voltage too low

I checked another source on headlight voltage requirements. It says 13.2 volts minimum and discusses exactly what you say about percent loss and says the same. It also talks about headlights being underwired on older vehicles.
I am going to install continuous duty solenoids which will be powered by the headlight wiring to turn on/off and wire power directly from a 14v battery power source under the hood. That should fix my issue I hope. Unless someone tells me otherwise. We will see and let you all know.
Thanks for the great info. You are all awesome and have been great help!

You shouldn’t have to do what you’re proposing . . .

I think the best solution is to find where you’re losing voltage . . . and fix it . . . and you won’t have to modify anything

As I said, those sealed beams aren’t the greatest, but if they’re getting around 14V at idle with the headlight switch on, that should be sufficient

That website I mentioned has the complete headlight wiring diagrams, so you should be able to measure from the battery, through the switches, all intermediate connections, fuse boxes, etc., all the way to the sealed beams

After my last post I thought to myself, you know I really should go back to tracing the system to check the cause of the loss before I add solenoids. If I can find? Although as I mentioned, another site notes the wiring is often undersized on older vehicles. Since the issue is common to two like vehicles, I am thinking it is a common issue and that leads me to believe more likely wire size than a bad connection. But I will do more investigation before I do the ultimate easy lazy man fix. Plus, I really haven’t had the time to get into checking the system yet so I probably should do that before anything else. You don’t think I should be lazy and I agree.

Speaking as a professional . . . and let’s also mention that our fleet has quite a few Kodiaks and Topkicks that don’t have the problem yours do . . . makes me think “bad connection” rather than undersized wiring

I don’t mean to sound like I’m nit-picking or being disagreeable . . . it’s just that my sample size, so to speak, is quite large, and includes several trucks just like the ones in your fleet

An easy way to see if you have a faulty connection to ground is to measure the voltage on the return side of the light while it is ON, using a known good ground point as your meter reference. If you see more than .3 volts at that point then you need to check the grounding to the light. If the reading is close to zero volts on the return side then the supply side needs to be checked. You can compare the readings to the other side of the headlights for a reference voltage. If the supply voltage is slightly lower on the bad side then follow that wire. There may be separate relays for each side of the lights. If so, I would first suspect the relay socket or relay as the cause of the bad connection to power and where the voltage drop is occurring. If there are separate relays for the lights try swapping them to see if that changes things. If that is okay then any other connector points in the circuit should be looked at for the problem. Having a factory service manual for the wiring is a big plus to have for reference for these kind of problems. Ebay is a good place to get them.

Traced power as far as the headlight switch and show 14v in 13.8/13.9 out. Also checked the headlight connection pigtail and it test good. I will look to see if there are any connections between dimmer switch and headlights that I can test. Then I will have to figure out how to get to dimmer switch on the column. That is for another day, Nice day today and I have things to do around the home.

Cougar, going to have to study your post a bit to understand. One comment I have is both headlights are dim, not just one and dim on bright/dim/DRL Plus I already ran a new ground to test and made no difference. Not sure if there are relays on the headlights. If so, I haven’t found yet. db4690 comment above referenced a website which gives wiring diagram info and I am using that. Don’t see a relay on that except for DRL.
Thanks.

Since adding a new ground connection didn’t make any difference that means the ground to the lights is okay, assuming that the new ground point was good.

I was confused about the lights. Since both lights appear to be dim the same amount and you have slightly less than full battery voltage at the lights my guess is that the issue are having is due to normal wire losses. Which you found some reference to. The wire losses will be in the supply wires to the lights, not in the switch wires. The switch controls the relays, which handle the higher current needed by the lights. The lighting control switch just needs to handle a small amount of current to control the relays. The relays are most likely in the fuse panel under the hood.

My earlier post was about just trying to help you locate voltage drops in the light circuit. Anytime you have extra resistance in a circuit where it shouldn’t be, and current is flowing through it (lights ON), a voltage drop will occur across that added resistance that shouldn’t be there. That voltage drop will cause less voltage to be across the load, or light in this case. It is a series circuit. All the current of the circuit has to pass through anything that is in that series circuit, including the extra resistance. The extra resistance could be on the supply side or the return side of the circuit. All the voltage drops in the circuit will add up to the total supply voltage delivered to the circuit. I hope that this isn’t confusing you more.

Not finding any headlight relays in any info I have. I do find a DRL relay. Doesn’t list any headlight relay in fuse block info or reference in any wiring info.

what model year?

how many sealed beams per side?

Fire Truck:
2008 Chev. C5500 4 dr. Duramax Diesel
Kodiak Model CC5E044
1 headlight per side.

Ambulance (Which I haven’t tested or did anything with yet)
2008 Chev. C5500 2 Dr. Duramax Diesel
Kodiak Model CC4C044
2 Headlight per side.

IMG_4608

IMG_4611

I just looked at the wiring diagrams

Low beam goes through the drl relay . . . high beam bypasses the relay

What I just said applies for both trucks

you want to look at pages D-221, D-222 and D-228

I believe that by backprobing, you should be able to determine where you’re losing that voltage

If I were you, I’d use that diagram and your meter to make sure you actually have 14V at idle coming out of the switch, going into the relay, then coming out of the relay

you can pretty much ignore anything on the schematic that says “high” . . . as you have no problem with the high beams, correct?

in my opinion, you may need to concentrate on circuit 12

High beams are low voltage/dim also. They are not so noticeable as the truck came with the round aux driving lights wired to come on when you turn on the high beams on dimmer switch.
Still, if aux drive lights would quit/burn out or whatever, the high beams would be really dim by themselves as things are now.
I have the other center LED light bar wired separately with direct power from battery and a interior remote to turn them on/off or flash. That center LED light bar is not near as bright as the round HID lights but way brighter than the factory headlights by themselves on high beam.
I have not traced the wiring to see how the round drive lights are wired and how the dimmer switch turns them on. Assuming they are direct wired from battery and have a solenoid connected to headlight bright power wire somewhere to activate.
That is why the “low power” dim lights are so noticeable. Go from really bright HID to really dim low beam.

Looking at the data that was nicely provided by @db4690 I was surprised to see that the high beam circuit does not have a relay in the circuit. You stated that the voltage at the switch was okay but the voltage at the lights is slightly low (11.7v). Was that reading for the DRL lights or the high beams? If that reading was for the highs then I would say that is due to wire losses and you would need to bypass the old wiring to improve the lighting output.

The data didn’t show how the DRL lights are dimmed. I assume through a resistor.

You all have been a big help. Especially @db4690 who provided the link to GM wiring. I have ordered aux. solenoids and am going to run new power to the headlights. I don’t think that will completely fix the issue as a lot of what I have read talks about a design problem. But getting 14 volts to the lights sure seems to brighten them up.
Thanks all!

1 Like

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out

I just thought of something new . . . those additional lights in the pictures . . . how are they wired up?

Do they turn on with the headlight switch, or are you running a completely separate circuit?

By the way . . . I’m not sure what this “design problem” is you’re referring to. We have lots of Kodiaks and Topkicks in our fleet, of various model years, and we don’t have any problems with low voltage to the sealed beams

For the record, I’m on the west coast and there’s no rust to speak of. I’m not sure where you’re at, maybe the wiring is corroded and can’t carry the full load?

Have you looked into performing voltage drop tests of the wiring associated with the headlight switch, drl relays and so forth?

I addressed all your questions in my previous post. Design issue I read about was the way the headlights were set back in the hood assembly. Not sure what that would do but another truck (Kenworth) we have is set back same way and its headlights are not that bright either so it does make sense that could be issue. Plus increasing to 14 volts still doesn’t make the Kodiak headlights all that great either. I installed LED bulbs in Kenworth but I haven’t driven it at night yet to check if that helped. Haven’t checked voltage on that one either. Location is South Dakota but trucks are kept inside and washed regularly. No rust issues. The green Kodiak we just bought. It came with driving lights already installed so last owner (BLM in Montana) must have had same issues. Ambulance is Federal Surplus from Navy Base but not sure where. Both are good trucks with no rust with only issues being headlights.