Loud Buzz When switched to park

2000 Toyota Sienna CE 3.0L - Car switch gear fine but won’t move or go in any gear. Whenever I switch from any gear to “park” I hear a loud buzz coming out from the transmission around the linkage area. No signs of broken shift linkage anywhere. Checked driver axle shaft and it looked fine. Here is a video of the sound. I had a P0500 code before disconnecting my battery which indicates a fault transmission speed sensor and I LOOKED EVERYWHERE for two days and I can’t find the sensor anywhere. Literally, looked everywhere. I took down the transmission pan and changed the filter and gasket. Fluid is to the right level. PLEASE help, Thank you!

If the fluid is at the right level, and you have no movement in drive or reverse,the transmission needs a repair or a rebuild. Have the van towed to a local independent transmission shop.

4 Likes

That’s not it! I am sure it’s something stupid! A bad transmission doesn’t make that buzz sound. Still looking…

Yeah, they sure do.

With the transmission in park try to move the van by pushing it, see if moves.

With the car OFF, I just rocked the car and it does move when in park.

How far? An inch or a few feet?

few feet I am sure of it!

few feet I am sure of it!

Could be a broken CV joint, axle shaft or differential.

With the vehicle in park, parking brake on, jack up one front tire and spin that wheel by hand. Look at the axles to see if they are rotating.

2 Likes

Did that earlier, Took the driver side out and it looked great. Not sure about the passenger side. One thing I know is that if I jack up the front of the car both tires rotates in both directions. I am wondering if it’s the passenger side cv joint?

I am going to see if the Axles are rotating. Stand by…Your help is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Just checked. Front car jacked up; I did spin both tires, drive and passenger and they both are turning including the axle shaft.

That sensor is located in the speedometer ass’y on my 90’s vintage Corolla. On your car look under the dash for a mechanical speedometer cable (spun by a gear in the transmission) going to the speedometer. If you find it you can probably follow it back to see where it originates from the transmission. If you have that cable your transmission speed sensor is probably combined with the speedometer ass’y. You probably have ABS, so the wheels will have speed sensors too, but those would usually be terms “ABS wheel speed sensors.” Do your speedometer and odometer display work ok?

As I recall when I have both front tires of my Corolla off the ground, if I spin one wheel by hand, the other spins also, but in the opposite direction.

They work just fine! I assumed that I got the P0500 code because when I push gas, nothing moves and the computer is getting confused thinking that it’s a sensor issue. I am leaning more toward the passenger side axle shaft. Could it be possible? I was swinging the steering wheel back and fourth in a parking lot after I fixed my steering rack and pinion. The car right now doesn’t move or anything despite change in gear. With the engine off, I am able to push the car a few feet while in park. Thanks for taking the time…

The purpose of lifting just one wheel is that normally you can’t spin one wheel while in park if the other wheel is on the ground. If you can spin one wheel you should be able to see and possibly hear the failed joint.

That seems correct to me. The transmission gear lever might appear to be moving all the linkages but not be actually shifting the stuff inside the transmission. If you shift to R, do the reverse lights come on? Then when you shift out of R, do they go out? If you can push the car while in P several feet, either it isn’t really in P, or the transmissions parking pawl in broken, or the transmission output isn’t connected to the wheels for some reason.

Are you able to crank the engine with the transmission in gears other than P & N?

I lift up the right side of the vehicle only and I could spin the wheel left and right.
I lift up the left side of the vehicle as well and I could spin the wheel left and right too.

When you spin each wheel does the inner CV joint on the axle also spin? Are the inner CV joints fully inserted into the transaxle? If no problem is found with the axles the problem would have to be in the differential in the transaxle.

Yes to both questions. When I spin the tire, I notice that the entire CV joint spin as well.