Loose Steering

I wouldn’t give up just yet. Around here $2300 won’t buy you much. If the car is straight and clean and appears well maintained it may be a decent deal. Sounds like you might have to spend a couple hundred bucks on some tie-rods, no big deal.

Just think, $2300 won’t even cover the sales tax on a brand new car.

Without starting the car have someone grab the steering wheel at 12 o’clock and swing from 10 to 2 o’clock while you reach under the front end and feel the tie rods and lower control arms for free play.

The price seems high to me also but it’s a regional thing I guess.

My Buick 3800 went 530,000 and still ran good except for the stalling so who knows the upper limit? If you are looking for that vintage silver Buick, I would suggest checking the obituaries. Couldn’t believe how many were parked at the senior center yesterday. Kinda like if you want an RV cheap, head to Florida or Texas and look for the people that died and the widow(er) needs to unload it before heading north again.

" If you are looking for that vintage silver Buick, I would suggest checking the obituaries. Couldn’t believe how many were parked at the senior center yesterday."

Absolutely!
On the rare occasions when I go to the local senior center, the parking lot is essentially filled with older Buicks, as well as Crown Vics and Mercury Grand Marquis models. While it would be tasteless to suddenly descend on a new widow or widower, obituaries could provide some leads to follow-up on in a few weeks.

The price may seem high but bear in mind the car has only 66K miles on it and is in mint condition. I think it is worth considering but I would have it evaluated. not only for the steering problem but to be sure it has minimal rust underneath.

I also think $2300 might be a fair deal, if the paint and interior are good, the engine and transmission are mechanically sound, and there’s no rust

And even if it needs brakes, some tie rods, and maybe tires, so what?

Around here $2300 gets you a car that is in far worse shape than the Buick that OP mentioned

Just another thought. Old LeSabres were built with light steering and cushy suspensions which, if you’re not used to, could seem to be loose steering. But even if it needs a rack Rock Auto has many to choose from ranging from $60 to $120. All front end suspension and steering parts from them for this car are plentiful and cheap.

Also, I think when the OP said 6 or 7 he meant hundreds, not thousands. Hundreds seems to be in the ball park.

Maybe this one:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4720926446.html

That looks like it might be a good bet

I hope so. I’m going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. They guy has had two people fall out of buying because they couldn’t get financing; I’m going to offer him $2500 cash. If it checks out that is. And it’s also 3 miles away from my mechanic, so a trusted inspection would be easy.

:slight_smile:

Hate to say it, but it looks like it smells of geritol and ben gay. :smiley:

cash talks

Bring a buddy or relative along. Check it out, and if you like it, ask him “Will you take $2500 cash right now?” Make it clear you can take it off his property that very second.

A bird in the hand . . .

@BustedKnuckles‌

Lol, it smells like money in the bank and no car note to me!

Plus a back seat that doubles as bed for two in a parking lot.

The Ferndale Buick looks like a nice one and especially so at 2500 if that works out.

One thing I would do since this is a Michigan car is take a look underneath and make sure that rust has not gone nuts on the undercarriage. The last thing you need is a pig with fresh looking makeup on.

Undercarriages here are crap even after a couple of years.

There are some dealers here who “specialize in southern cars.” They go to the auctions in Georgia, SC/NC, and Tennessee and bring the cars back up here and charge a slight premium. I think they do fairly well.

http://blog.pennlive.com/leftcoast/2009/03/large_pig%20with%20lipstick-thumb-275x225.jpg

yup

still a pig

Now here’s a pig: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/4694895539.html

Going to look at that tomorrow too.

The third one looks suspicious to me. The two left side views look like different cars. No right side view. Why was so much work done?

I talked to the guy. I guess he ran it into the ground (210k miles) driving it to work over the last 8 years. Not sure why, but he put 5k+ into rebuilding the whole thing. If it was a sound job I suppose it’s a deal if I can get it for $1500. He said all work was done by GM certified tech. He has receipts and pics of all the work done.

@Demo_Beta‌ ‘Lol, it smells like money in the bank and no car note to me!’

I haven’t had a car note for 12 years, so I know how good that feels!