Looking for scanner

I have two handheld scan tools; an Innova and Autel. I bought the Autel later as it had more diagnostic capabilities and allowed me to view ABS sensor data and steering angle sensor. The Innova GUI is far more intuitive and less cumbersome than the Autel.

I still find myself wanting more control capabilities. For example, being able to exercise the EVAP solenoids to diagnose leaks. But I don’t want to pay big bucks for a professional tool with likely periodic licensing/update fees…

Tester

I’m aware of that of course. I presume you’d need a high-end scan tool for diagnosing a broken hvac door, to actuate the blend door’s motor then monitoring its position-sensor to see if the blend door actually moved or not. Should I ever own an OBD II car with that problem, I’ll hire a shop owning the proper scan tool to diagnose it for me. Once I get the correct diagnosis, then I can decide who’ll do the repair.

It might be possible to temporarily remove the electric-brake motor and wind the mechanism back by hand.

Yes, for some that might work. My Audi still had drive lugs on the caliper piston like it was mean to be manually wound back. Slower, so a pro would not want to do that, but a DIYer might.

1 Like

The procedure for rear pad replacement on both my Ford and Buick gives you access to retract calipers (e brake service mode) by doing a dance with the key, brake or gas pedal and e brake switch. Once ebrake service mode is activated, you push piston in as normal. Once finished you take it out of service mode and it resets. No scan tool. Needed.

2 Likes

Good for Ford and Buick! An example of manufacturers thinking of what is best for their diy’er customers.

1 Like

This is not a sales pitch or endorsements. I’ve finally received an Innova 5160 (5610) etc. After a little trouble with customer service, it works fine, and should do what I need it to do. It activates\ deactivates many components, and resets quite a few things as well. I was wanting to be frugal (cheap) but get as much function as I could. I got one new on sale for half price, so I’m happy with the final results. I researched Innova, Autel and Foxwell. The way it sounds all of these would be good for a serious DIYer at $300 - $600. Innova bring the cheapest of the bunch. Whether it’s a disadvantage or not is up to the consumer, the Innovas updates are free, but they only occurr every 2 years or probably more. The longer they wait the cheaper they get the updates for. So the scanner is usually at least 2y years behind current. The other scanners can be updated every year at your cost of $100 - $300+ a year. I’m cheap and just going to be DYI only, so the Innova is just fine. If anyone needs to take advantage of my Innova research, let me know.

2 Likes

I’m looking now for a bi-directional scan tool and I own a less capable Innova and like the user interface. Can this model run EVAP cycle? Better yet, can it command individual solenoid action for the purge and vent solenoids?

The online documentation for these tools is severely lacking in clarity on these kind of bi directional tests. Appreciate any insight or info you can pass along!

Functions vary by year make and model. There are EVAP actuator commands for my 2020 Buick. I didn’t try them, but will let you know shortly. One of the good things Innova does is, on their website, you can enter your vehicle and match it to any of their scanners to see what the scanner will do with your vehicle. I’ve read one review that said this was inaccurate, but it matched with both my 2020 Buick and 2019 Escape.

1 Like

I guess your Innova scanner came with a user’s manual, possibly PDF. If it’s PDF maybe you could PM @TwinTurbo and send it to him.

If you open this link, click on the 3 horizontal lines. Click on coverage checker, scroll to coverage checker and enter your vehicle information. Then select Innova scanner 5610. When you click submit, it shows what the scanner is capable of with that vehicle. Functionality of this scanner is vehicle specific. It has more functions on some make and models than others. The manual is hard copy. @TwinTurbo is familiar with the operation of the scanner, so the manual wouldn’t answer his question.

Funny thing is, I have had the 5610 for a few years now, but only checked the codes on the Infinity to confirm what I thought was wrong with it… And I have played around with it on the 2009 Vibe and was not impressed with it… But just checked the Services and Features for the 2009 Cobalt and it does way more stuff… lol… My son is the one using for the Cobalt and it is all but worthless for transmission stuff other than codes…

Now I want to play around with it more… lol

Thanks!
I’ve gone through this compatibility exercise as well as finding an online copy of the User’s Manual. The issue with the manuals is the nature of the tool covering a vast array of vehicle applications. They can’t list everything for every make/model.

The compatibility tool has the EVAP mentioned in two places:

Additional Services:
EVAP is listed and has an i in a circle and when you click on that, it displays- “Control of on-board system, test or component”.

This is again very vague in describing what could be done with it.

Special Functions:
EVAP service bay test

Some searching online revealed this tidbit:

The EVAP Test function lets you initiate a leak test for the vehicle’s EVAP system . Note: The scan tool does not perform the leak test, but signals to the vehicle’s onboard computer to initiate the test. The vehicle manufacturer determines the criteria and method for stopping the test once it has been started.

There are some very specific test criteria that must be met for the on-board computer to trigger both a gross and small leak EVAP test. If this tool can command the test to start, regardless of those criteria being met, it has some value to me. The concern would be the computer immediately terminating the test because some specific test criteria isn’t met.

I found some info on the GM OEM diagnostic tool:

GM’s scan tool-driven EVAP Service Bay Test, which is used to verify both existing conditions and completed repairs , will only run if the vehicle’s fuel level is between 15 and 85% and the engine coolant temperature is below 158°F (70°C). This test has to be performed with the vehicle’s engine running

That’s not too onerous and much less than the complete list of conditions needed to run the small evap leak test. At least I could verify the solenoids are being commanded and functioning.

For around $350, it’s compelling to just buy it and hope for the best…

Are these functions available for your car using the factory scan tool? There are many methods and systems in use for monitoring the EVAP systems. Some cars test the system while driving at speed, some cars test the system on a cold start after sitting overnight, some cars test the system 20 minutes after you’ve shut off the car and gone in the house.

Obviously this would explain why a particular tool will run an EVAP test on some cars but not others. Bi-directional controls and complete data for specific solenoids, sensors, and valves is often more useful than a pre-configured test.

This is for a 2020 Buick. In each selection I can activate solenoids and valves. I can not just use the scanner and initiate or trigger a leak test. But it does give a detailed (and I mean detailed) procedure to make my vehicle do the test. For my vehicle there’s over 22 steps to take under certain criteria to get it to trigger a test.

That, and whether or not the manufacturers supplied the control commands to support it. Some manufacturers have provided these options in their code, others not. And some even went so far as to provide individual control over the hardware bits so you can turn a solenoid on/off or read back the pressure sensor allowing one to at least diagnose the basic functionality of the hardware that makes up the system. To the point-

This is why I have been saying-

I can wait for it to run through its built in test as long as I know the hardware bits are functioning as intended.

Awesome! That would be ideal. Since my TB is a GM product, I can hope they did the same for mine. Thanks for all your time and effort to help, it is very much appreciated!

Yes, the GM criteria required for performing a small leak test is pretty lengthy indeed! Makes sense given the amount of leak they are trying to sense. Even a small vapor pressure increase due to a change in temperature would look like that small of a leak…

It would be interesting for us diy’ers here to see an example of how a pro-scan tool is used to diagnose an evap leak, vs the same job w/ diy’er-level scan tool.

IMO, one of the best diagnosticians is Eric O. at South Main Auto Repair. Watch some of his vids on youtube regarding doing actual diagnosis using a bi-directional scanner and just experience in general.

1 Like

I was sitting around playing online tonight because sometimes I look to make sure I got the best stuff for the best price. Or get buyers remorse. In this case I really think I did good for my DIY purposes. I did get mine on sale half price, and I noticed the prices for these have gone up quite a bit in the last couple weeks. But compared to everything out there this is the biggest bang for the buck. I would have spent full price, but it would hurt (cause I’m cheap). This tool is not a simple code reader, but my opinion is that this is a low level bi-directional. You can get better, but the price jump doesn’t do it for me. And lastly the reason for my comment is I found that Harbor Freight has branded the Innova scantools as “Zurich” scan tools. The ZURICH ZR15s is the Innova 5610. One other thing to remember is if you get it from Innova, the 5610, 5160 and the 5260RS are the same tool. The 5610 v2 supposedly does not connect to the RS2 app by Bluetooth, but works as the scanner the same as the rest. The reason they have different numbers for the same tool is they sell them from other vendors such as AutoZone who want to differentiate part numbers.