Looking for fuel pressure tester doohickey

I apologize for not knowing how to spell doohickey. (Or do I?)

I need to check the fuel pressure on my 2000 Olds Silhouette. The location of the valve is such that I am about 1/4 inch short of enough clearance to get my pressure gauge on it. (This is mine if it matters: http://www…?pid=16174)

I am pretty sure that there are various adapter fittings made - all I need is something like a 90 degree elbow adapter that is meant for Schrader valves. I’m pretty sure that these are made, but searching the web has been like the proverbial needle in a haystack and the 3 auto parts stores I was in today were of less than no help.

Hoping somebody knows where I can get something like this for less than an arm and a leg. Or, at least someone can say that nothing will work and I need another solution. I can live with it either way.

I believe this is what you’re looking for. http://automotivetools.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/index.html?E+scstore
Type in fuel adapter.


These are cheap; but, you should be able to use them a few times: http://automotivetools.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/index-liquidynamics.html?L+scstore+fqsh3733ff0df30d+1241044363 Check the Star Products, like Star TU113P.
Also, if you need to check fuel pressure on a Honda, the hose with the small tip fits Honda fuel rail. No need to make one from a bolt (now).

That is exactly the kind of thing that I need (though then I’ll also need to find quick coupler adapter), but that’s for Ford which is a different size. Great site though and I’ll keep poking around in it. Thanks!

Comes up with the same Ford elbow? What’s wrong with one for GM?

I’m continuing to poke around in there - thanks!

Type in Star 74489. The kit includes a GM 90 degree quick disconnect.


Found it- thanks! Of course, that will cost more than my actual pressure tester did. I might go for it anyway as a means of solving many unanticipated future problems. (But I’m not a real mechanic, so its not like I can write it off my taxes or something).

I’ve started to think about doing a one time mod - take the pressure all the way down, pull the valve core, put on brass 90 that will take a core, and just leave the thing permanently accessible. Is there any reason not to do that? Other than that I wouldn’t get a nifty new tool?

Ok - right - I was looking at the wrong thing.

Don’t take shortcuts! Use the right tool. That’s 90% of successful automotive repair.


I’m with you there. But in this case I was actually thinking of it as a “repair” of a really bad (but likely purposeful) design by GM. It would have been incredibly simple in about 5 different ways to make putting a gauge on that thing easy. So I was just going to set things aright.

But I will also trust the wisdom of experience - so if that idea sounded half-a**ed I’ll take you word for it.

FYI: not wanting to spend the $$ for something more elaborate I emailed Actron, told them what I was looking for and they had it.

I can’t figure this out, but they have various adapters that NONE of their retailers carry and aren’t even in the catalogs. There is no clear way to find them even if you want them - bizarre - bad business.

Anyway - I got the basic 90 degree adapter I needed for all of $3.32 http://actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16289 - about $10 once it was shipped.

What I should have done is asked for help before I bought the tester and ended up with something more versatile (I hate that hindsight).

Thanks to all for their input.