Looking for advice on replacing Michelin tires which are no longer made for my car. They make uniroyal is that a decent all weather tire go from snowy mountains to coast of va

Need to replace old Michelin tires as company no longer makes a tire for my vehicle I could get credit toward Uniroyal or should I look at different maker

What size, and what year CRV?

If this is the Honda CRV any well rated all season tires will work just fine. I have even had house brand tires that performed well .

I had Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires on a 2000 Blazer. Even with 4wd snow traction was terrible.

Ed B.

1 Like

Michelin bought-out Uniroyal quite a few years ago, so the OP could consider Uniroyals to be cheap Michelins.
Are they as good as Michelins?
No they aren’t, but they are decent tires, and–I believe–are still made in The US.

Another tire to consider is the General Altimax. It isn’t expensive, but it is very highly-rated.
General is owned by Continental.

2 Likes

Unroyal just like all tire companies makes tires for almost any driving condition . If the tire is rated for excellent dry road handling they might be terrible in snow.

Just explain to the tire store what you need for the tires to do and go from there .

Consumer Reports publishes tire test results every November. The tirerack.com site is another excellent source of test information about tires and their performance in several criteria.

This is your chance to fine tune the performance of your car to do better in the ways that matter to you. So do some research and take advantage of it.

5 Likes

Thanks for your response

I thought I answered but I am not adept at navigating this. 2003 Honda CR-V lx
Tire size: P205/70R15

Someday I might buy new Michelin’s. Oh heck, I never will.

I will buy michelens as my only choice.

1 Like

Not if you need 15 inch as they don’t appear to make that size anymore .

When Mich stopped making 13 inch’ers for the Corolla I switched to Optima, not as robust as the Mich, but has a soft ride, air stays on the inside, and otherwise seems to work ok.

I used Goodyear weather ready to replace my mich. well satisfied.

Had Bridgestone between Michelins, gas mileage went down 2 mpg new Michelin, no improvement, the bridgestone was a little thumpier on bumps, not a big deal and are available in your size. I am sire the model is probably discontinued but had the long trail ta

If you spend a lot of time in the snow, you might check out this tire. Otherwise there are other choices, but they are getting fewer and fewer.

You might also look for 16" wheels from a newer CRV from a junk yard, e-bay or facebook market but go with a 205-65 16 to have the same overall circumference. More tire choices.

Just looked at the Discount Tire web site . They have quite a few tires in the 15 inch size and just like Sears of the old days they have Good - Better - Best . Should not be to difficult to find something in a price that a person wants.

I say go for Michelins, I have never had a tire give me more Bang for the Buck… This tire was on my Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and I was on the way to Lowes or Home Depot to buy a Pallet load of Pine Bark Wood Chip Mulch. I felt a “thump” coming from the back end and feared the worse and it was… The tire had blistered on the tread and there was large bump from air leaking into the body. I limped to a tire store and had them put the spare on we tossed this into the back.

I went on a bought the pallet load of Pine Bark Wood Chip Mulch and I leaned the tire up against the load. After going home, I was not ready to start spreading the mulch and parked the truck in the garage. After lunch, I heard a loud noise, actually an explosion, come from the garage.

Yeah, the tire finally blew and the 65 PSI air pressure blasted open several bags of mulch and blew it all over the garage and everything else in the garage… What a mess. By then, there was no warranty on the time and I fingured if it could happen once, I was looking at four more possible problems (the spare was the same tire…).

Yup, Michelins gave me the Most Bang for the Buck…

Moral of this story, when removing a blistered tire, let the air out…

1 Like

Your truck calls for 65 lb air pressure? Was it a pothole or a curb that you hit that broke your wheel?

That’s a Dodge 2500 and those call for LT tires and those type of tires call for higher pressures. 65 psi = Load Range D

And the wheel isn’t damaged. The bead of the tire has been pulled out and is covering the rim flange making it look like the rim flange isn’t there. This is a classic belt leaving belt separation commonly called Tread Separation.

So I have to ask: Where does the OP live and how old are the tires? This looks like a tire that should have been replaced due to age - and the age limit is a function of temperature - hence where the OP lives matters for the length of time to replace tires simply due to age.