Looking for a great small SUV to replace my Jeep Liberty

Not every review seems to love the 4cyl Cherokee, but the V6 gets much better reviews.

Yes, itā€™s a bit larger than most mid size SUVs and benefits from the larger engine.

Todayā€™s vehicles are designed in a wind tunnel, thatā€™s why you get the egg shape. In trying to keep CAFE up, the more mpgs the better

Round = good aerodynamics and better mpg
Boxy = more drag and lower mpg

Today's vehicles are designed in a wind tunnel, that's why you get the egg shape.

Actually todays vehicles are designed in a simulated wind tunnel on a computer. Far cheaper then doing it trial and error method. You can make changes to the design almost instantaneously.

These new tools to simulate reality are nice,sure cuts down on the expensive prototypes-Kevin

Being able to ā€œdial upā€ any car you want within certain parameters and within certain price ranges, makes it difficulty to understand how crappy cars still exist. Then, along comes the Yaris and cars that just have to have boxy designs and teeth on front and archaic drive trains just to cater to certain preconceived notions. Logic then goes out the window and we make cars that cater to attitudes instead of practicality. Now, making cars that sell just isnā€™t that easy. The new Jeeps could likely sell less as they become more homogenized and have to compete with the other shaped cars out there just to match their economy.

There are a lot fewer crappy cars than there used to be. When I see a model at the auto show for the first time I am rarely seriously disappointed. There are some every year that I wonder what they were thinking (or smoking), but hardly any that look and feel pathetically cheap. Thatā€™s a big change from twenty years ago when there were plenty of cheap-feeling cars.

I had a 2003 Jeep Liberty & purchased a 2012 Jeep Liberty to replace it. I hated it. It was not the same & I do not recommend.
I have since switched to a Subaru Crosstrek but miss being up high.
Iā€™d love to have my 2003 Jeep Liberty back.
I myself am still looking for anything that is as compact, High up, & fun to drive.
Suggestions welcomeā€¦

What about a Wrangler?

Iā€™ve seriously considered itā€¦ I may still get one. Iā€™m leaning towards a wrangler, rav 4 (even though I hate the name), or a forester :woman_shrugging:t2:. None of them quite fit the bill though.
The original design of the Jeep Liberty was so fun to drive. I had a lift on mine & it was 4x4 so it was extremely versatile & capable.
I liked the compact design of it.
Honestly Iā€™d buy another one if I could find one with low mileage.

Delete ,didnt realize this was a years old post .

Wasnā€™t the Liberty a unibody?

Do we have a shill for Scotty Kilmer ?

2 Likes