Longest Production Convertible

Can anyone tell me what is the longest production convertible ever made?

Please narrow down your question; do you want a specific car model, company, body style?

GM made convertibles from the early 1900s till about 1976, when they quit. I think the Cadillac Eldorado was the last one. Then, some years later they started up again. So, you could say that Cadillac, dating from 1904 or so, produced convertibles till 1976 continuously , except for the war years when civilian car production was suspended.

I’ll let others answer which specific car body/model had the longest production run. It could be the VW Beetle convertible or the Model T Ford, which was produced in the same body style for many years.

Hope that gives you a partial answer.

P.S. If you are looking for the convertible with th longest physical length, look in the Guinness Book of Records. I’m sure you can find it in your local library! In the 30s they built some very long Rolls Royce, Deusenberg and Auburn cars. They were all convertibles.

It is the Jeep Wrangler.

It went by different names before it got the “Wrangler” badge in 1987, ranging from “CJ-2” to “CJ-8.” It has been around since at least the 1940s.

If “longest” is a reference to physical length of a car, rather than length of time that it was made, surely Bugatti’s “La Royale” would qualify as the longest. A little bit of trivia about these cars is that the engine was so huge (13 liters, perhaps?), that it was later used as a locomotive engine by the French!

Are you asking in terms of length or time?

Thanks for the replys. I was looking for the longest production car physically. I looked up Bugatti’s “La Royale” but that was not a full production run car, since it only had 6 custom units built. Any idea on the logest convertible in terms of physical length that was a full production vehicle?

The J Type Deusenberg of the mid thirties would come close; about 600 or so were built, but it was a regular $35,000 (rock bottom depression dollars)luxury car, popular with movie stars and gangsters alike.

The Buick Electra 225 was so called because of it’s 225" overall length. Some quick googling shows that as far as I can tell the other late-50’s to early-60’s full-size GM convertibles were about the same length and its closest competition I could find was the 60’s Lincoln Continentals and late 50’s Chrysler 300’s, both at about 220".

All the big land barge cars got even longer into the 70’s, but I don’t think any of them were available as convertibles.

Thanks for the info.

The '60 lincoln continental mark v convertible was 227" long, does anyone know of any other production convertible that was longer?

I don’t know the lengths, but I suspect that some years of the Chrysler Imperial convertibles were longer.